Chapter 19 ~ Truths

"I knew it," Lancelot mumbled. "What are you doing here, Alice?"

Cover blown, I scraped the fake voice. "I'm here to tend to the soldier," I explained, holding up the bandages and the thick paste. "Kyle told me to."

"Kyle?" Lancelot's eyebrows knitted together with a frown.

"Yeah," I said. "I may or may not have taken the place of a poor maid, tasked with tending the soldier, but that's beside the point."

Lancelot let out a sigh as he looked me up and down. "Well," he demanded, the coldness seeping back into his voice. "How much did you see?"

"All of it," I admitted as I crouched down, picking up the fallen scarf. It was such a pretty maroon color, I kind of want to keep it.

As I wrapped the fabric around the palm of my hand for easy use, my eyes caught on a drop of fresh blood on the cold concrete ground. I looked up, only to realize that Lancelot was bleeding. He must've cut himself when he gutted the soldier!

"You're injured," I frowned as I stood up, reaching out to Lancelot's still bleeding hand.

"Don't move."

The very next second, I had a sword at the base of my throat, keeping me at a distance. I blinked in shock as I looked at Lancelot.

"Move and I'll lop off that pretty little head of yours," he threatened.

"Lancelot," I asked hesitantly.

"Magic doesn't work on you, right," Lancelot asked. "But your memories will disappear all the same if you lose your head."

His ocean blue eyes were like an icy lake, cold like usual. The heartbreak in his voice from earlier could've very well been imagined up by me.

"Okay, okay," I mumbled. "I won't tell anyone you saved that poor soldier from impending doom." The sword seemed to come even closer to my neck, one unsteady step and I would be dead.

"Don't make ridiculous accusations," Lancelot said, his voice cold as steel, but something changed in his eyes. There was a flicker of warmth, just a tiny bit, but it gave me hope. It gave me courage.

"If you're going to kill me, then do it," I said. I leaned in closer to the blade, the tip was snug against my neck now. Even the slightest pressure would draw blood. I was making his job easier for him, yet Lancelot didn't do anything.

After a few moments of silence, the tension not dying down for one moment, Lancelot retracted his blade.

"Return to your room," he ordered. "Before I change my mind."

"Yeah, sure," I mumbled, picking up the bandages and salve that I had once again dropped in the heat of the moment. "But let me check your hand at least. If you don't properly treat a wound like that, it'll get infected!" Before Lancelot could protest, I grabbed his hand, my grip firm but gentle as I took out the salve, applying it on the injury like Kyle said, a thick paste.

It wasn't bleeding too bad, it seemed to have healed up a bit since this afternoon, so Kyle's advice should still work. Even though it isn't as life threatening as a sword to the gut, it could still be dangerous if it isn't given the proper care and attention.

"Why would you touch something that scares you," Lancelot asked, but he didn't pull away from me as I took the dark red scarf, wrapping his hand carefully. "Your hands are shaking."

"I'm just cold," I explained. It really was chilly down here in the dungeons, and the maid uniform was pretty thin. I had left my heavy cloak and my old dress up in my room, and I kind of regret my decision now. "I would never be afraid of you," I murmured to myself.

"Why not," Lancelot asked, hearing my words in the still, quiet air. "I just erased someone's memory, and placed a sword to your throat. You should be terrified."

I shrugged my shoulders helplessly. I couldn't very well tell him that I believe the little boy I was best friends with is still in there somewhere, that'll give away my whole identity.

"You must have your own reasons for doing this, for wasting your energy healing a wound you caused, for not wanting me to tell." I looked down at the floor sadly. "I'll try not to pry too much, but you should know that you can trust your friends. Me, Jonah, Edgar, Kyle, Zero, I bet even Luka would be willing to help out." I gave Lancelot a gentle smile, trying to make him feel comfortable. "Point is, you're not alone."

Lancelot's frown wavered ever so slightly, and for a split second I thought he was going to burst into tears, until they hardened once more.

"Leave me," he demanded, swatting me away. Luckily I had already secured the fabric, so it didn't flutter down as my hand released his.

"Alright," I sighed, turning around to go back up to my room. "But if you need anything at all, feel free to talk to me. I consider you as a friend, and I hope you do the same."

And with that, I left Lancelot down in the basement with his thoughts.

After returning to my room through the secret passages, I changed out of my maid uniform, tossing it into the closet. I flopped onto my bed, reviewing tonight's adventures.

At least the soldier was free now, that's one good thing that came out of all of this. But Lancelot shouldn't be using so much magic! He's going to hurt himself. Tomorrow I'm going back to Kyle's place to try and see if there's anything that can help Lancelot out if he does continue to use magic. And I'll pick up some more salve and bandages as well. I left them down in the dungeons, I'll have to get those later as well.

But right now, I am tired. So much happened tonight, I just want to sleep it off.

Curling into a ball on my bed, I closed my eyes and drifted off into a peaceful nap. 

*~*~*~*~*~*~* 

A/N: 

Yay! Bonding time! ... kinda. Sorry I'm uploading this a day late, I was about to upload it yesterday but for some reason forgot. TwT Ah, my upload streak is back to 0 now. 

Word Count (not including A/N): 1025 

2021/10/03