CH8 - I'M GLAD YOU'RE BACK

tw: body dysmorphia/ED, self harm/scars and overall shitty mother :)
[3579 words]

•••

We need to talk.
This one sentence has been ringing in my ears constantly. As if it was permanently burnt into my brain. And yet it was an entirely simple and harmless sentence. Four words. Straight forward meaning. But it was still making me very nervous. And the fact that it was me who texted it in a first place wasn't helping me at all. It meant that I will have to initiate the highly unpleasant conversation. And that has never turned out well.

Frankly, I was avoiding it however I could. Whenever I had to see Jen at work, something mysteriously came up. Once I had to go to the doctors, other time I had to bring Basil to the vet, and sometimes I was just sick. Luckily enough, today I didn't have to come up with any embarrassing and unbelievable excuse. Today I actually had a good reason to not come to work. Today I was sitting in Eric Walsh's living room.

Eric Walsh was a screenwriter working for director Simon. He was truly a very kind and polite person. It was incredible how lucky I was that all the people I worked with were so amazing.

So now I was sitting on a sofa with a cup of chamomile tea in my hands; wondering my eyes all over the room. I was indeed quite nervous, but I definitely had felt worse. Something about Eric made me feel welcomed and calm. He was young, about thirty I would guess, and very openminded, which instantly made my worries disappear. It was definitely a good thing; my mind wasn't clouded with unnecessary thoughts and I could focus precisely on our work. Over all, it was going really well.

"Alright, y/n, I think I finally figured how are we going to do this," started Eric happily; holding a lot of disorganized papers in hand. "Writing a script based on a book is always a pain in the arse, but we've got this."

I slowly nodded in agreement. "Okay, so tell me about your plan," I said; intrigued. Meanwhile he sat down next to me, picked a random piece of paper and took a pen in his hand.

"So, it's never possible to transcript everything perfectly," he began and looked at me, waiting for some sort of an answer.

"Yeah, I'm counting on it," I smiled briefly.

"Splendid. So, pick some scenes you wish to keep exactly how you wrote them. I have a copy of the book, so just mark it there. Those scenes will be written by you and only you, I won't have a say in it at all. I will only check the result to make sure it looks like a script, but that's that," said Eric kindly and suddenly I felt extremely relieved. This asured me that nothing bad was going to happen.

"Okay, got it," I answered excitedly. "What's next?"

"Next; the 'key scenes' have something that precedes them and also something that comes right after them. We're going to write those together. We take the most important parts and then create the rest. I will make sure that it's going to look good on a screen. You will guide me the right way and if you highly disagree with something, we will do a correction. The rest is up to me. And when it's completely done, we will look through it together. What do you think?"

"I absolutely support that!"

"Well, I'm very glad we agreed," replied Eric contentedly. "Let's not waste any more time: do you know which scenes would you like to write?"

"Hmm, I think so," I answered confidently.

"Wonderful," he exclaimed with clear enthusiasm in his voice, clicked the pen and looked defiantly at me. "So, talk."