CH1 - HELLO LONDON

tw: mention of alcoholism
[1829 words]
•••

The sky is breathtaking. Oh, those clouds. They look like pieces of fluffy cotton candy. And yet, it is just an ordinary water. Nothing more than water. So it's probably true that the most beautiful things are the simplest.

I sighed and turned my head so I was facing the passanger seat infront of me. I squinted my eyes so they could adjust to the light change.

We heard Amazon is sold out of puzzles. You're welcome.

I read and chuckled. IKEA really couldn't come up with a better advertisment.
I carefully took a small bottle of orange juice from the desk and drank a little.

I don't like planes. Especially when there's a granny snoring next to me.

I inconspicuously looked at her. I have to admit, she appeared quite peaceful. Tilted head, mouth opened... Someone just can enjoy their flight. I scoffed and turned my head back, looking again through the tiny window. I tried not to think about it. I tried not to think about how horrible last evening and night were. It didn't work. My mind was completely controlling me.

~throwback~

"What do you mean you're leaving?!" shouted my mother. Her eyes were sparkling with anger, hate and contempt. She was leaning against the table with both of her arms so she looked even more terrifying than usual. As if she was piercing my soul.

My mother is a complicated person. We've never had a good relationship, if I'm being completely honest. Since I was little, she's always seen me as a burden. And when my younger sister was born, I became a nanny. A nanny for free who was used repeatedly, if you will. I missed hours, even whole days of school just so I could stay at home and take care of little Emilia whilst my mother was visiting every possible bar in Berlin. I was waiting countless times until early hours just to put my absolutely drunk and devastated mother to bed.
Even tho this is all gone, the history still hurts. A lot.

"Mum," I began softly; I didn't want to upset her even more.

"Don't 'mum' me right now! You, one day, absolutely out of the blue, decide to leave university, leave all of us and go to London? LONDON?! I ran away from this total shit of a city to your father and NOW you're telling me you're suddenly moving there?!"

It's true that my mother went through hell in London and it's a miracle she could go to Germany and meet my dad. It saved her. It saved her that much she became more and more arrogant, started to consider our household her kingdom and made servants from us. Even from dad.

"Mum, listen!" I dared to raise my voice. I took a deep breath. "University doesn't do it for me, I'm bad at almost everything, it only consumes time and gives me anxiety. I've always wanted to be an author. I already wrote one book, which you would know if you cared about me at least a little bit," I added caustically.

My mother just contemptously scoffed and didn't say anything, so I took it as a chance to continue.

"My new story takes place in London, so I can capture the atmosphere the best if I move there."

To me, it made perfect sense. To her, not in the slightest.

"I don't know about that. And I most definitely don't like the fact that you're leaving as if nothing else mattered! You're gonna die there!"