Chapter 1: The News

“We’re moving?”

“Yes, and for important reasons.”

Careen couldn’t believe it. I could tell with her expression. She was shocked, and then upset.

“But why? We’re staying in the city, right?” She looked at our parents hopefully. They glanced at me quickly, and she caught it. “No, we can’t go! I have too many friends here! I don’t know anybody there. That place is full of criminals, anyway!”

I shook my head. Careen was always worried about herself at most. I had warned them that Careen would hate it. It was hard to believe that we were sisters; we didn’t have a lot in common.

Careen looked like she’s about to whine her head off, so I said, “Careen, you have nothing to worry about. Not everybody in Satellite is a criminal. You’ll make friends there, I’m sure. And besides, if any criminals try anything, they’ll have to answer to me. There’s nothing you need to worry about, sis.”

She looked at me, then sighed in defeat, “Alright, but just remember, I’m not happy about this.” She got up from the table and headed to her room. Before she closed the door behind her, she shouted, “You better be right, Tashira!” Careen shuts the door loudly.

I shook my head, thinking, ‘She needs to be more polite…

My mom said, “Thanks, Tashira. I swear that you’re the only one she ever listens to.”

“Mom, please. It’s only occasionally that she ever does that.”

“Your mother’s right. It seems that Careen looks up to you,” Dad said.

I raised an eyebrow at them, “You’re kidding, right? I would’ve thought that the only person that she looks up to would be the director.”

They both shook their heads as he said, “We believe that she looks up to you, although, I guess she does look up to him at times, too…”

I sighed. This conversation would go on for hours. I looked at my watch; it read 9:15 pm. I wasn't surprised, as I usually went to bed late.

Mom and Dad were talking about who Careen looked up to more; me or the director. I shook my head, smiling, and then said, “I’m gonna go to bed, okay? Gotta get up early for school.” They nodded, and I went to my room. As I passed Careen’s room, I heard her slow breathing, signaling that she was fast asleep.

I closed the door behind me, and flopped down on my bed, wondering what people would think about us leaving, and how life in Satellite would be like. I drifted off into a dreamless sleep.