Chapter 3: Duel Academy

After I dropped Careen and her friends off at their school, I went to Duel Academy, my school.

Once I got there, I headed to my teachers, and told them about what was going on. They were surprised, but they knew that my parents were always making good decisions, so they understood, I guess.

I went down to the study room, and found that Rengi Coraz, Sally Temple, and Cooper Mander were already there.

“Hey, guys. Sorry I’m late,” I said.

“You’re not late by that much, Tashira,” Sally said.

Rengi smiled at me, and I smiled back.

“Well,” Cooper clapped his hands together. “Let’s get to work.” We all sat down at a table to get started. “Okay, what should we do first?”

“We already covered everything last meeting, didn’t we?” Rengi asked.

Sally nodded and said, “And there hasn’t been any news this past week, has there?”

Me and Rengi shared a look as Sally and Cooper kept thinking, trying to determine what we should do.

After a while, Sally said, “Ya know, you two have been real quite. What’s up? Do you have anything to share?”

We were silent for a few minutes, with Rengi sending me a questioning face, like should-we-tell-them? I smiled, and said, “Well, I guess you could say we do. Um…, let’s see, you guys know Satellite, right?”

“That dump? Yeah, everyone knows it. What do you have?”

I was shocked by what she said. “Sally! That’s not nice!”

“Why should I be nice to a bunch of criminals that don’t give a crap about us?”

“Oh, I’ll tell you why,” I said, standing up from the table. “Because not everyone there is a criminal!”

“And how would you know?! Have you ever been there?!” She got up, too.

“No, but I will be there!”

“The only reason anyone would be in Satellite would be if they were criminals! You’re not a criminal, Tashira!”

Rengi and Cooper were already out of their seats, and trying to calm us down. I closed my eyes, took a deep breath, and said, “Sally, I know you think that what I’m saying is nonsense, but listen to this. Me and Rengi are going to be moving to Satellite.” I opened my eyes to see our friends’ shocked faces.

“What?”

“We’re going to be leaving.”

Nobody said anything for a few minutes. The first to break the silence was Cooper.

“What do you mean? You’re gonna live in Satellite? Both of you?”

I nodded, and Rengi said, “Our parents decided it, and we agreed to go.” He looked at me, but I looked away. I wasn't really in the mood to talk.

“I’m going to class, don’t want to be late.” I walked out the door, and left them in the room. ‘Why did it happen like that?’ I thought as I headed to class.