Chapter 4: A Duel With Charlie

Class went by fast as we reviewed different combos for getting the advantage when in a duel. I barely listened, as always. I only looked forward to the duels we would have.

When it was time for the duels, I got chosen to go against a kid named Charlie. He looked timid and nervous, so I told him, “Hey, don’t be nervous. Just have fun.” I smiled, and he returned it.

The duel started with me going first. “Draw,” I said calmly, drawing my card. In my hand was Defense Draw, Junk Synchron, Tune Warrior, Blazing Inpachi, Giant Trunade, and Half Shut. “I summon Blazing Inpachi [Level 4 ATK/1850 DEF/0] to the field in Attack Position. Then my turn ends with two face downs.” I placed Half Shut and Defense Draw face down into my duel disk.

Charlie drew his card, “Here I go! I summon Genex Recycled [Level 1 Tuner ATK/ 200 DEF/ 400] in Defense Position. One face down. Turn end!”

“Draw.” My new card was Quickdraw Synchron. “I summon Tune Warrior, Attack Position. [Level 3 Tuner ATK/ 1600 DEF/200] Then I Synchro Summon! Blazing Inpachi, Tune Warrior, unite to form Level 7 X-Saber Urbellum!” My two monsters tuned together, and my new monster appeared. [Level 7 Effect ATK/ 2200 DEF/ 1300] I looked at his face down, and wondered what it could be. ‘Hmm, I think I’ll pass on attacking right now. Gotta be sure it isn’t a trap,’ I thought as I said, “Turn end.”

“Draw! By sacrificing Genex Recycled, I summon Dark Driceratops in Attack Position! Now, Dark Driceratops, Attack her Urbellum!” [Level 6 Effect ATK/ 2400 DEF/ 1500] He had a cheerful look on his face. Too bad it wasn't that easy.

Urbellum was destroyed and sent to the Graveyard, but before I received any damage, I exclaimed, “Reverse Card, open!” My Trap Card, Defense Draw, appeared on the field. “With this card, I don’t receive any Battle Damage, and then I draw a card.” The card was Dark Tinker.

Charlie was shocked and upset that he didn’t take any Life Points from me. “Two more face down cards. Turn end.”

“Draw,” I got another Junk Synchron. “I play Dark Tinker in Defense Mode. Your go.” [Level 2 Tuner ATK/ 1000 DEF/ 1300]

He drew, and said, “Alright Dark Driceratops, attack Dark Tinker!” Dark Tinker got sent to the Graveyard. “And don’t forget, when Dark Driceratops attacks a Defense Position monster, you receive the difference as damage.”  The attack hit me and I lost 1100 Life Points; I had 2900 left.

“Dark Tinker also has an effect. When it’s sent to the Graveyard, I can look at the top card of my deck, and then put it back on the top or bottom.” I picked up the card. It was Synchro Boost. I decided to put it at the bottom.

“Turn end.”

“Draw,” It was Monster Reincarnation. “I Activate the Spell Card, Monster Reincarnation, from my hand. I choose Blazing Inpachi and add it to my hand, after discarding Junk Synchron from my hand. Then I summon another Junk Synchron to the field, activating it’s effect. I can now special summon a level 2 or lower monster from my graveyard in defense position. I choose Dark Tinker.” [Level 3 Tuner ATK/ 1300 DEF/ 500]

The monsters appeared on my field. “Turn end.’

“My go. Dark Driceratops attacks Junk Synchron!” My monster was destroyed, and I took 1900 damage, leaving me with 1000 Life Points. “Turn End!”

“I draw. And Activate the Spell I just drew! Hammer Shot! It destroys the monster with the highest Attack Power! Say good-bye to your Dark Driceratops!” It was destroyed and out of my way now. “Then I activate another Spell from my hand, Giant Trunade. All cards in the Spell and Trap card zones are returned to the owners’ hands.” Our cards went back to our hands. “I summon Blazing Inpachi, and then Synchro Summon Gaia Knight, The Force of Earth! And because of Dark Tinker’s effect, I look at my top card.” I picked it up, and saw that it’s The Warrior Returning Alive. I placed it back on top. “Now, attack Gaia Knight!” Charlie took 2600 Direct Damage; He only had 1400 left. “Turn end.” [Level 6 ATK/ 2600 DEF/ 800]

He drew, “I place five face downs and end my turn.”

I drew, and saw my card. “I Activate The Warrior Returning Alive! I return Tune Warrior to my hand, and then summon it to the field in Attack Position. Gaia attack directly!”

“I don’t think so! I Activate my trap! Scrap-Iron Scarecrow! It negates your attack, and then is returned face down instead of going to the Graveyard.”

“Well, it only works once a turn, so you can’t stop this! Tune Warrior, finish him!” Tune Warrior attacked Charlie, leading his Life Points down to 0

“I lost!” He exclaimed.

The duel was over. I went over to him, and extended my hand, “That was a good duel. You almost had me."

He tooks my extended hand, and said, “Next time, the victory will be mine, Tashira! Just wait and see.”

I smiled, my mood brightened up.