Chapter 2: The Next Day

I woke up to a sunny morning. My eyes had to adjust to the light that was flooding in through my window. ‘Why are my curtains open? Didn’t I have them closed last night?’ I thought as I got outta bed, and into the bathroom. Looking in the mirror, I saw my hair going in all directions. I sighed as I pulled out my brush and started combing my hair. “Stupid knots…,” I grumbled under my breath.

Once I had my hair in order, and I’d taken a shower, I headed down to the kitchen, where mom was already up.

“Good morning,” I said, watching her make pancakes at the stove.

“Morning, Tashira,” She responded without taking her eyes off the food, “Would you like some pancakes before you head to school?”

“Nah. I think I’ll just grab something quick and head on out.”

“Before you go, can you wake up your sister? She hasn’t gotten outta bed yet.”

“Sure.” I went to her room, and knocked on her door. “Careen,” I called, “Are you up yet?”

“Yeah, yeah,” A muffled voice said from behind the door, “I’m up, I’m up. Don’t badger me, alright!” I heard shuffling and the door opened, revealing an already dressed with hair fixed straight Careen. She pushed past me and into the kitchen. She was obviously hungry, too. She said, “Mom, what kind of pancakes are you making?”

“Cinnamon chip pancakes,” She answered.

“Yay! My favorite!” Careen exclaimed as she took a seat at the table.

“Careen, if you want to walk with me to school, then you’ll have to hurry up and eat.”

She turned to me, “Why are you going early?”

“I have to talk with my teachers before class, and then I need to go to the study room. I’m meeting up with some friends there.”

“Are you going to tell them about what happened last night?”

I hesitated before answering, “I don’t know, maybe. If Satellite’s brought up, then yeah, probably.” I shrugged and went to get my books.

Once my items were gathered up, I grabbed a book, and started reading. I didn’t get to the end of the page when my phone started ringing. Pulling it out, I looked at the Caller ID. It was Rengi.

Answering it, I said, “Yo, Rengi. What’s up?”

“Oh nothing much, except that I found out that you guys are moving to Satellite!” He said.

“How’d you know?” I asked.

“We’re going there, too. My parents told me yesterday when I got home. When’d you find out?"

“Just last night, after dinner. Careen doesn’t like the idea, but I convinced her it would be alright.”

“That’s good. Hey, are you going to be on your way soon?”

“Just waiting for Careen,” I said as I put my book into my bag. “Any way, I guess I’ll see you at the study room.”

“Right,” He said, and then added quickly, “Should we tell the others?”

“I was thinking only if they start to talk about Satellite.”

“Okay, see ya.”

“Yup.”

I hung up, and put my phone away just as Careen walked in and asked, “You ready?”

I nodded, and flung my bag over my shoulder. We headed out, after saying good-bye to our parents.

After a few minutes, we were joined by two of Careen’s friends, Sarah and Kayla, and they instantly started chatting and gossiping. Man, for five-year-olds, they sure did act like they were in their teens. Being a nine year old girl was harder than it sounded. I had to deal with little sisters, her friends, and school. I couldn’t wait until we got to move.