Eighteen - Changes

It wasn't even 7 AM when his car pulled up in front of the towering midtown skyscraper that housed the J-One Publishing Group's offices. He hadn't been able to sleep much the night before, and anyway, he figured it couldn't hurt to beat everyone else to the office.

Jeong Hyeok didn't usually subscribe to Ri Chung Ryeol's philosophy of leading with fear, but today, he wouldn't mind having a little bit of the upper hand. He hadn't been this anxious about going to work, not even on his day of work a decade ago.

He wasn't even sure why he was so nervous-- except the fact that he was a dad now and from the moment he'd laid eyes on Eun Jung, a faint undercurrent of worry seemed to follow him everywhere. With one indignant rant by a woman who spoke in nothing but indignant rants, he'd discovered he was a father and from that moment on, the consequences of every choice he made were infinitely amplified.

Jeong Hyeok headed towards his office. It had clearly been set up for his arrival. It appeared his old assistant had packed up his London office and sent everything to his new assistant. He was glad for the sense of familiarity his own things brought to this new environment. But for as much as had essentially just supplanted his London work-life to Seoul, not everything in his world was the same, so there was something else the office needed.

He sat down at his desk, opening his briefcase and pulling out a new piece of decor to add to the room-- a framed picture of him and Seri, laying on Se Ri's couch with Eun Jung sitting in his lap and Yorkie's nose trying to nuzzle its way into the frame. He was smiling at Se Ri who was laughing at the shaggy dog who desperately wanted to join in for the family picture.

Jeong Hyeok smiled sanguinely at the photo. Jeong Hyeok was a work dork and he was absolutely looking forward to the mental stimulation of talking to educated adults on a regular basis about something other than spit up and gas, and other bodily functions. But damn, he missed his little girl already.

He went about doing a little re-organizing of the space, and before long, he was interrupted by a surprised voice. "Mr Ri Jeong Hyeok!" He looked up to see a woman who appeared to be in her mid-twenties or so.

"Hello," he greeted.

"I am so sorry, I didn't realise you'd be here so early. I would have come in earlier," she apologised effusively. "Can I get you anything? A sandwich? Coffee? You like it with light cream and one sugar, right?"

"Actually," Jeong Hyeok replied with faux seriousness, "there is something you can get me."

"Of course, sir, what would you like?"

"Your name," he suggested, plastering on a charming smile.

The woman's face flamed bright red. "Of course," she shook her head in embarrassment. "I am sorry, I am your new assistant Kim Mi So. I've been working for Ms Jung for the past two years. HR hired me. They figured since I knew the office quite well by now and everything... they gave me a thorough rundown of your typical routine and how you like everything... which is how I know light cream and one sugar. And you like blueberry scones. And..."

"Ms Kim," he interrupted.

"Yes, sir?"

"Breathe," he instructed her with a smile. That had been quite the epic rant she'd just given. She kinda reminded him of Se Ri, back when they'd taken the internship.

She inhaled deeply through her nose, her shoulders relaxing slightly as she exhaled. "I am sorry," she replied sheepishly.

"And stop apologising," he added. "You didn't do anything wrong."

"Sorry," she said again, bringing her hand up to her mouth with a nervous smile.

"It's okay," he nodded. "I promise, I don't bite."