Epilogue - Dandelions

The loud buzzing that cut through the suburban air was amplifying her nerves, making every cell in her body vibrate in tune with the chaotic energy of the mowers. She cringed, a jolt of fear shooting through her as the landscaper took the turn a little too sharply by her estimation.

It had to be just right. If the landscaper cut off the front half of the 'M' it would look like an 'N' and everything would be ruined. Which she knew was a bit hyperbolic, but still... she wanted this to be perfect. The perfect start to their perfect life in their perfect new home.

She remembered the exact moment she knew this was where they would live. They'd started house hunting about a month ago, even though there was still time left on Jeong Hyeok's lease-- spring was when all the houses went on the market, he had argued. Plus, it would take time to go through closing. And what if they wanted to do work on the house before they moved in? Se Ri had thought it was over the top to be stuck paying three or four months of his obscene rent and a mortgage. But it wasn't like Jeong Hyeok couldn't afford it... no, it wasn't like they couldn't afford it, he kept reminding her. And truth to be told, she was a little excited.

The moment they had pulled the car to a stop in front of the house, she had felt a little thrill. At over 5600 sq feet it was far more home than Se Ri had ever imagined living in, yet it still somehow felt quaint and homey. Even so, as they had toured through the 6 bedrooms, 5 bathrooms, 2 family rooms, living room, and office, a war had waged within her. The thought of sitting in that office, looking out through the wall of windows and the glass-paned French doors which opened onto the magnificent stone patio... it excited her.

But she couldn't seem to let go of the niggling doubt inside of her, telling her it was too much. Telling her that it was overly extravagant and unnecessary. Telling her that despite her book money, this house would be bought and paid for by Jeong Hyeok and she didn't deserve it.

But then, they had stepped outside into the backyard.

"I am sorry about the yard," the realtor immediately said. "the landscapers were supposed to come last week. But the owners are in Vermont. Anyway, you can imagine what a pain it is to organise anything when you're living thousands of miles away. So anyway, the dates got mixed up and they're not coming until next week."

Se Ri's hand clenched down on Jeong Hyeok's. It was a sign. "No," she shook her head. The realtor turned to look at her.

"I swear once they clean this place up..."

"No," Se Ri said as her eyes swept over the lawn. A large patio of paver stones gave way to a spacious yard that was full of yellow as far as the eye could see. "Tell them they can cancel the landscapers."

The realtor gave her a confused look. Se Ri turned to Jeong Hyeok, a beaming smile on her face. "A whole yard full of dandelion," she breathed out excitedly. The second she had laid eyes on the lawn full of so-called weeds, all her reservations had melted away. Jeong Hyeok smiled back at her.

"I know dandelions can be a pain to get rid of, but--"

Jeong Hyeok cut the realtor with a chuckle. "Don't worry," he assuaged her. "The dandelions aren't hurting your sale, they're helping it."

The realtor still didn't seem to understand.

"It's... a thing, just trust me," Jeong Hyeok turned back to Se Ri. "So, this is it?" he asked for confirmation, though she knew that he knew it was. She nodded her head excitedly. They were home.

"I am done," Yoon Jeung Pyeong interrupted her from her thoughts. She turned to face her father.

"Thank you, Appa. It looks great." He had just finished hanging twinkle lights from the eaves of the house as well as along the pergola. Han Jeong Yeon was on baby duty and as soon as the landscapers were done blowing grass cuttings all over the place, it would be time to set up the luminaria lanterns and set out blanket and pillows along with the picnic basket she'd made.