𝐈𝐈𝐈 ━━ Night Raid

"GOOD EVENING WILL," the girl said in a whisper of amazement. She had an uncertain tone and a trembling voice. She was surprised to land in front of him.

She hadn't really expected to see him there, at least not tonight. But the surprise wasn't so bad.

The young man smiled at her and admired her in all her splendor. He was a little better dressed than usual, although Asteria would admit that she liked his outfits. Wearing a shy expression, he questioned the young girl.

"You looked scared, or bent out of a shape," he said.

"My father took Norrington as a spy, he's here to watch me. I am not a child!" she whispered.

"Is it because you invited the lower classes? People like me?"

"Don't talk nonsense. How do you know that I was the one who invited the people?"

"Everyone knows that, miss. You are a real hero down there."

"Truly? That's not what I was looking for. I just wanted to see public and people happy, celebrating."

Will couldn't stop his grin from blooming.

On the other side of the room, the Commodore watched his sweetheart closely, and decided to join them.

"Good evening, Mr. Turner," he began.

"Commodore Norrington," Will said.

"Very nice sword, by the way. Your services are greatly appreciated."

"I am delighted, then."

Asteria was confused, but tried not to show it. She stood up straight and smiled.

"What are you doing with young Swann?"

"We're talking, isn't that acceptable?"

"I would like you to stop speaking on my behalf as if I were not there, Commodore."

"Your name which will soon be mine."

"I beg your pardon?" she said, raising an eyebrow.

Will was surprised and touched.

"You are going to wed him," he stammered.

He wore an expression of disappointment and trouble, but he expected it.

"Absolutely not. I told the Commodore that I would consider his proposal but that if he continued to strut like a noble peacock, my answer would already be formulated."

Will found a smile and chuckled slightly, he estimated the audacity of the young girl.

"Don't forget that our destinies are closely linked, miss. In a letter, I can have you mine, so if I were you, I would measure my maxims."

"Is that a threat?" Will irritated. "How dare you admonish a young girl under her own roof."

"Turner, I have far more power and influence than you. I can have what I want when I want and..."

"...and I would not fail to expose your vanity and your dazed ego and say a few words about it to my father who considers you so much. In a letter, I can degrade you very low, so if I were you, I would measure my maxims," she finished.

The Commodore was surprised and decided to leave, ashamed. Despite the altercation, it took nothing away from the love he felt for the young girl. Rather, it only fueled her, contemplating how much guts she might have.

Asteria took Will's hand and they ran through the dancing figures, all social classes mixed. Asteria had noticed something over the years; the nobles, wearing masks as much as jewelry, were in despair. Behind their smiles was a deep misguided sadness, just waiting to find its way among the light.