Prologue

This story has a happy ending. I just wanted you to know that before you start reading, so you more or less know what to expect. So, I suggest that if you're looking for a romantic tear-jerker, you could try some good old John Green, or perhaps even William Shakespeare, becuase this is just your good old Australian teen love story, which you'd probably find in at least one episode of every season of "Home and Away".

Well, almost.

The first thing you have to know is that my family has a way of doing things. For starters, my parents and I all live in a brick apartment building in Clayfield. My older brother, his wife and son live in the apartment below us. There are a couple of other people who live in the building, but I'll tell you the gossip on them later. First, I'll tell you about my family.

My Dad, Henry Paul Vice (I know, HPV. He's very sensitive about it), owns his own carpentry bussiness, which based on the fact that he owns the entire building we live in, I assume does rather well. He never talks to me about that kind of thing though. I'm the 'young lady' of the family, therefore, I should be aiming for a more respectable occupation. He doesn't mean to be, but my dad can be a little sexist sometimes. He talks to my brother though.

My big brother is also Henry Paul Vice (yes, we have two HPV's in the family. Don't rub salt in the wound), but every one calls him Chip, as in 'Chip off the old block', that and he's a chippie as well, like dad. He's in line to inherit the family carpentry bussiness, the building and if anything were to happen to mum and dad, me. Don't get me wrong, i love my big bro, I really do, but it sometimes really peeves me off that just becasue I'm a girl, I'm seen as too fragile to do anything but desk work, which is where mum comes in. 

My mum, Janice Vice, talks to me about her work, like all the time. In all honesty, I'd really prefer it if she didn't. she's a psychiatrist, so whenever she gets home from work, I get to hear all about the poor depressed and traumatized people she talks to and how she answers their questions of what they should do with questions of how they feel. Don't get me wrong. I see the importance of mum's job, in fact, I'm in great awe of what she does. It's just not for me.

And that was my problem, becuase she wanted it to be.

Now, what does all this rubbish about my family have to do with anything, you ask? Well, nothing really. In fact, you really only had to know about my mum, but knowing about Chip and dad just makes it a bit easier to understand me.

Oh, by the way, I'm April Vice.