Chapter 3: The Conversation

Kate Winslet as Evelyn Green

###

Logan didn't step aside to let me into his room. Instead, he stood in the doorway, arms crossed over his muscular chest, looking down at me. I caught sight of my reflection in the mirror next to his door and mentally groaned.

I had a navy blue spaghetti strap dress that was tight around my body, then fell from my hips down to my knees. That was okay. My white sandals, still okay. However, I had my home made denim bag strung over my right shoulder and resting on my left hip. My red hair was done back in a low pony tail that let my fringe fall loose over my eyes. I was suddenly very happy that I had opted for minial make up and contact lenses. The last thing I needed was to look like a total geek with glasses and acne. I already felt like a dork standing in front of Logan, my new god of hotness.

"Sooo, what's up?" I asked, as inner-April screamed at me.

'What's Up!' She seemed to shriek at me. 'How about what's wrong with you?! You're pathetic Vice!'

I tried to look cool while the voices screamed inside my head. I think I failed.

Logan pulled a pocket sized sketchbook from his back pocket, along with a pen, then scribbled something down before ripping it out and handing it to me.

So why do you want to be my friend so badly, Vice?

'He called me by a nic-name!' squealed inner-April. Inner-April was seriously getting annoying.

"I want to be your friend becuase it sounded like you needed one," I said shrugging slightly. He frowned down at me, and I felt the heat rise to my cheeks as he wrote another letter.

You don't even know me

"Really?" I said as confidently as I could. I took a step forward in an effort to intimidate him. Seeing as I was so short I only reached his shoulder, it didn't work, but I kept talking anyway.

"Let me guess. You spend all your time in your room, probably playing X-box or surfing youtube. You get frustrated with your aunt becuase she's more worried about what your silence will do to her reputation than you. And every single therapist and psychiatrist that she brings into to help you, you piss them off, make them not want to help, so that you can be left in peace with you X-box and your youtube."

I noticed that as I talked, Logan's mouth slowly dropped open and his arms dropped from where they were crossed over his chest. I took this as a good sign.

"How close am I?" I asked, dropping my voice for effect.

It was now i noticed how close i was standing to him, and took a hasty step back, clearing my throat in an effort to ease the sudden tension in the air. Logan also stepped back slightly to write something, then handed me the letter. I took it with as much dignity as i could fake, my eyes not leaving his face until I had read the note in my hands.

I read it, then snorted, which i found almost immediately embarassing. "I don't care if you're an X-box guy or a play station guy," I said, feeling my face grow red. "I was pretty much right about you. So are we friends or not?"

what's in it for you?  he wrote.

I rolled my eyes. "Nothing," I said, hearing the exaspertaion in my own voice. "I just want to give you a friend who isn't being paid."

Logan narrowed his eyes. I don't like being pitied

"It's not pity!" I practically shouted. I took a deep breath and, then continued. I couldn't lose my cool, not today.