Epilogue

10 years later.

Something has woken me, a sound of some sort but I can’t register what. I strain my ears, focusing on the sounds beyond the door of the large beautiful house I have been living in for the last 9 years, a place I have simply called home since the moment I stepped through the front door.

A smile curls at my lips when I hear laughter, a squeal of excitement followed by a stern demanding voice I have learned to love beyond words. “Davianna, Dexter, be careful running down those stairs.”

The laughter comes to an abrupt halt and I smile as I imagine the little faces of our 9 year old twins. I fell pregnant pretty quickly with the twins. It was a surprise to us all, but one we learned to love quickly. “Yes Daddy.” Is all I hear before their laughter continues down the stairs.

 I roll over onto my back and look up at the ceiling. I’m surprised that none of them have come barging in here year, being Christmas morning and all. Looking at the clock on the wall I can see that it’s only 8 am. I had my orders last night that I was supposed to stay in bed until breakfast was brought up to me. Doctor's orders are for me to keep of my feet as much as possible and to stay well rested. When Sean told me I had to be on bed rest, I laughed and told him no way.

I get out of bed before going into the bathroom, cleaning my teeth and brushing my hair before stripping from my pajamas and into a comfy pair of sweats and one of Silas’ baggy t-shirts. A kick in my ribs has me looking down at my bulging belly, my hand automatically going to the spot the little terror in my belly kicked. This one is an active one, but also large, just like their Dad. “Don’t give me too much trouble today please.” I say to bundle of joy still in my womb.

 I’m due in three weeks but Sean is pretty sure I’m going to be bursting this one pretty soon. I simply hope it’s just not today, not that a Christmas baby would bother me. I waddle out of the bathroom, through my bedroom and out into the hallway. The first thing I smell as I walk towards the stairs is melted chocolate and I grin because that means Luke is making chocolate chip pancakes for Christmas. As I go down the stairs, I register everything that is going on around me. I hear the beautiful melody coming from the piano, telling me that he’s no doubt sitting beside five year old Molly, playing the melody he wrote just for her, like he wrote one just for me and for all our children.

I hear the sound of cars speeding, telling me that North, Silas and Nathan are no doubt on the Xbox and I know who will be sitting at their sides. 8 year old Noah and 7 year old Ryder.

“Oh, Mommy, you’re up.” I look down and into the green eyes of my daughter. She pushes the glasses up on her nose, the exact same way her daddy does, using his finger. Her hair is French braided, the tips skimming the middle of her back. She has my pale complexion, but the beautiful eyes of her daddy. She’s wearing her best favorite dress that she saw a few years ago in one of our favorite stores. Victor being Victor brought one in every size. The biggest one we have will last her until she’s at least twelve. “Daddy said you had to stay in bed.”

I hold my hand out to her and my heart explodes when her tiny hand comes into mine. I wrap my fingers around her hand, closing my eyes for just a moment and wondering if this is all a dream. When I feel her hand squeeze me back, my eyes fly open, seeking out hers. “It’s not a dream Mommy.” She says and my eyes sting with tears.

“You’re right, beautiful girl. It’s not a dream.” She grins at me, leading me through our large beautiful home, one I have been able to make mine and the boys. Dexter emerges from the dining room, talking to his little brother Lewis. Lewis is 4 with brown eyes that are always laughing and full of mischief, blonde hair that is almost touching his shoulders. Always one to refuse having his hair cut. Beside Lewis is his twin brother Liam, his identical. The boys struggle to pull them apart, but me, I know. A mother always knows.