Chapter 8: Day 22

Time for a grand adventure. Somewhat.

Izuku and Ochako stood right in front of the signs warning against exactly what they were about to do. They looked at each for a few seconds and nodded before taking the first step.

As they walked forward they didn't see anything wrong so far. They weren't attacked, no quicksand, and most of the land was flat so they weren't going up and down hills which would make them tired.

" What do you think about this Deku?" Ochako asked feeling like something should have happened by now.

" Not sure. Either we are just lucky nothing has happened, the guy and the signs was lying, or maybe something big is coming" He would out the last choice at almost 100% of happening. " Get the knife out in case" He instructed and Ochako pulled it out from the supplies they brought with them.

The only thing that came their way was a snake, but it didn't attack so they left it alone and kept moving through.

".....We did go past the signs right?" Ochako wondered as they moved.

"Yes I'm sure of it. Maybe it wasn't as bad as we thought, but that can't be! Though we should enjoy it for now while we can. " Izuku kept his eyes peeled for anything.

"Deku! Look!" Ochako pointed up at the trees. He looked where she pointed and it was a monkey. " I hope it's friendly" She knew any animal could be dangerous or have possible diseases.

They watched as the monkey blinked twice before climbing away. They both sweat dropped.

"L-let's keep moving" Izuku suggested and they moved on, still not entirely sure where to go.

They made sure to stop every now and then so they didn't get tired, eating a bit and drinking some water as well. Izuku also kept a makeshift map to track where they went so they didn't get lost.

"What if he's long gone? We might just be doing this for nothing" Ochako said leaning up against a tree. Her feet were getting really dirty, her shoes had several holes in them now.

" I wouldn't say nothing. While we're here we can find food not near the beaches, or maybe something else he left behind. Just gotta keep moving, all we really can do at this point anyway" Izuku said as he wrote on the map sitting down on the grass.

Ochako watched him thinking he looked really cute. Once he finished drawing, they went back on their walk. Even after another hour after walking they still didn't encounter any dangerous animals. In fact they barely saw any animals. No birds, no more snakes, no more monkeys. Nothing. It was very weird.

Regardless they never let their guard down for a second, Ochako always had her knife in her hand and Izuku was ready to fight as well. Hours passed and nothing. They didn't go through a fight or find the survivor. Just the land of the Island.

"I think we should turn it in for tonight. Let's get a fire started." Izuku gathered some sticks together in a pile and Ochako put some grass in the pile as well before they lit it up.

"Damn. We should have picked a better spot so we could lean on trees to sleep better. Most of the ground here is pretty lumpy" Izuku placed a hand on the ground as be sat down.

"Well...we could lean on each other" Ochako suggested, even if she was embarrassed to say it.

"...Yeah good idea" He walked over to her and sat down behind her, leaning his back up against hers.

'He...he didn't even seem embarrassed by it!' Ochako was shocked but she couldn't see Izuku's face blushing.

"We should do shifts so we can keep an eye out. I'll go first so go ahead and get some shut eye." Izuku offered and he took the knife from her.

"I think you should sleep first, you still only just recovered from being sick. Plus you did most of the work of getting our stuff together." She wished she could see him right now.

" Are you sure about that?" He asked as he rubbed his eyes. His body was worn out and he already felt like he could use some shut eye.

" Please go ahead and sleep Deku. I'll wake you up in a few hours so we can switch" She reassured him.

Izuku was too tired to argue with her, and he honestly didn't want to either so he accepted her demand. " Alright. Give me two hours then wake me up. " Izuku made himself comfortable against Ochako as best as he could, which wasn't to say she wasn't soft. He was just embarrassed by the contact.

" Of course" She smiled, even if he couldn't see her. It didn't take long before he fell asleep, gently leaning against her as he quietly snores. Ochako never thought she would find herself in this kind of situation, but she didn't mind too much.

She kept watch for two hours, not seeing any kind of danger anywhere. It wasn't easy for her to stay awake, but she managed to keep her eyes open. She gently elbowed Izuku's back waking him up.

" Hm...* Yawn*. Is it my turn already?" Izuku asked stretching his arms out.

"You can sleep a little more if you want to" Ochako offered, not minding the possibility of staying up a bit longer.

"I'm good, and you need some rest as well. You look tired and we both need to get as much sleep as possible" Izuku took the weapon from her.

"I don't know Deku, I don't think there's anything to worry about. Neither of us have seen anything posing a threat yet. There's barely any animals anywhere. I think we'll be safe if we go to sleep" Ochako explained but Izuku wasn't going to take any unnecessary risk.

" We were warned for a reason and we need to be safe. Go ahead and sleep, it'll be alright Uraraka" He assured her and Ochako was too tired to argue with him. She leaned her head back and drifted off to sleep. Izuku threw a few sticks onto the fire.

They both did this several times, switched shifts untill the rose over the horizon, which was mostly blocked by the trees. Izuku had been the one to take the last shift.

They grabbed everything they brought and carried it with them as they continued their journey.

Ochako was wondering if they had explored the entire island yet. "Any clue as to how much Island left to explore?" Ochako wiped some sweat from her forehead as they kept going.

"I would say at least half is explored. " They came near mud all over the place. It didn't seem to wet so they just walked on top of it.

"...I think I'm getting tired, my legs are starting to feel heavy. " Ochako felt like she suddenly gain weight.

Izuku himself realized that he was feeling heavier. What was happening kicked in when he noticed everything was getting bigger. Ochako realized it too.

Quicksand was sinking them.

"AHHHHH!" They both screamed in terror.