Chapter 7

Two weeks go by as I see Gil every now and then. She is slowly warming up to me, but is still shy and nervous whenever I enter a room in my villa. Keeping myself away from her room unless there is a question that is need to be asked about how she's doing.

   Maybe a little gift would be nice for her. Something new to wear so Gil could have more clothes than the maid outfit and the stripped clothing given to her when she first came into the camp. Her tattoo is evident to see out in public and will have to covered by makeup or a long sleeve jacket.

   Looking around the house, I find Gil downstairs in the cellar alone with the wine case in her hands. We make eye contact for a moment before going to her.

   "Do you want help carrying that up?"

  Gil looks down at the case in her hands before speaking. "If you want too help sir and it not being to much trouble" She was unsure and nervous about him helping.

Taking the box of wine from her as she shakes a little in my presence.

"Please don't hurt me Kommodant. I'm the only one left of my family" Tears run down Gils face and falls to the floor.

I stared at her for a moment and set the box down. Her family is gone from the sound of her plea and I couldn't help but feel bad. Either they were killed by one of us Germans or they died naturally somehow.

I pulled her close to me by her waist and hugged her. This job is terrible and killing innocent people are terrible. But she doesn't deserve to suffer in the position she is currently in.

  Gil looks up at me with a confused look on her face about my actions. "What are you doin sir?"

   Sighing some and then looks at her with guilt on my face. "Just trying to comfort you madame."

   She hides her face in my chest as her arms wraps around my body. I stroke her hair with one of my hands to ensure she calms down. Taking another good look at her before I send her upstairs. Dealing with the wine myself by stocking the cellar shelves to see what was left behind. I was hosting a party here soon within the next week or so. Which is why the idea of getting Gil a dress that was nice enough for it. She could still wear her spare maid outfit, but I want her and Sarah to be comfortable.

Sarah was seeing another man, she started dating another high ranking officer a few ranks below me. She mentioned his name but I couldn't remember the name. Some guy working from a different camp than this one is the only thing I remember. A physician with dark hair and eyes. Asking Sarah his name again will be fine hopefully.

  Upstairs, Sarah was doing her job to make sure the place was clean. Telling her to have a wonderful day before leaving her and Gil to their work. Both have been very helpful with keeping the place clean. Being glad that Sarah now has a new friend to keep her company. Despite Gil being Jewish, she has done a great job with being tasked with cleaning up. Going out for a day to get some new clothes will be great for the both of them.

  Sarah will come along to help me with picking out anything Gil might be interested.

Authors Note: Let me know if I am going too fast or slow with the story. Improvements will be made in the future as I go along.