CHAPTER - 23

She knew it

She knew it. She knew there is happy news awaits for her. It was written on his face.

She rushed into the chamber with the guard. A smile was painted on the faces of elves, who were gathered up in front of the chamber door.

Everyone made the way for the princess to enter. She halted with an unexplainable joy as a tremendous moment reflected on her eyes. A redhead distracted Legolas's view from her eyes. He was hidden under the long red locks of Tauriel. The only visible thing was his legs and hands, which embraced her small figure.

And yes, as usual, she didn't think twice to destroy the heartwarming moment. 

Rushed to his back, she snaked her arms around the big figure of him. He was like a little who's being cuddled in between two mothers. Tauriel was draped on him from the front and Niennà from the back. The two elleths didn't move until he wheezed to catch breathe.

"Where have you been Greenleaf!? " Nienná squeaked onto his ear.

"You both almost killed me!" his voice was raspy and yet was pale. 

"You idiot! How could you leave me like this even for a moment ha!?" Tauriel implied with tears while punching his arm quite hard. Her hair and face were no longer different from the colour.

The first thing he needed to know as soon as he woke was to see if his Ada is alright. But he no longer needed to ask, he already saw the answer written on Niennà's whole being. He knew that they have suffered a lot more than he could ever imagine by looking at the worn-out faces. He has never seen Tauriel in such a state even during the ages of war. He firmly took her into his arms after wiping her tears off with his thumb.

"Oh okay then. Have your time love birds, she might be having a lot of things to do..." Niennà said with a lopsided grin and turned to leave. She tried her best to stay pleasant in front of the happy couple. In front of the happy smiles of many, she hides her pain and emotions under a beautiful smile and silly words, not wanting to hurt others with them. Nobody knew the shattered heart that lay beneath that pleasing smile.

"Niennà "

The voice that came from her back halted her.

"My doors are always open if you need anything "

For that, she look behind and with a slight nod, she left his chamber. Niennà needed to get lost in his warmth just like Legolas and Tauriel. Her fëa searched for him like a mother searching for her lost child. Her mind and body, face the painful reality but fëa hides beneath it. 

As usual, she came back to Thranduil's chamber and opened the glass barrier that lay between his room and the outer space.

Some books and a lid of ink still lay open on his working table as if they wait for him to come back. Yet the goblet that always stood on his hand was still on the table with half of the wine filled in it.

Pinkish hues with a touch of orange of the sunset escaped from the most, passed her figure and made a beautiful contrast against his grey skin. Cold chills of autumn ran deep down to her lungs and touched the wounds of her heart. Yet, nothing of Illuvatar's creates were impressive any longer, in front of his absence. Sun didn't shine without his radiance.

She closed her eyes, trying to recall the sensation of his love; the way his arms snaked from her behind that gives rise to thousands of butterflies within her. But it all suddenly turns upside down and stabbed her heart harshly when she rests her eyes from the sky to his empty vessel. 

It was only the silvery threads of his that moved from the wind. She tried to replace the left side of his face, which was covered with rolls of bandages, with the beautiful face that had been traced on her memory. All she needed was to see his eyes blink one more time. She linked her fingers with the length of his and gently laid a tender kiss upon his cold, chapped lips.

Those lips are supposed to be soft and pink; they should foam around her's with much passion and their warm hand should tighten the grip against each. But it didn't happen. 

Her eyes darted towards the tall figure that stood at the door, as a door knock distract her.

"Elrond!?" She suddenly raised, wiped her tears and reached towards him. 

"I'm sorry if I disturbed, I have some important words with me" 

He arrived inside and sat in front of the grand fireplace and Nienná served him with a hot cup of tea and sat next to him.

"Yes my Lord, now you have my have my attention." She sensed something wrong though he pretended to be ordinary.

He let out a deep sigh and rubbed his temples irritatedly. 

He kept the cup aside, "Dear, I know this will be hard but you have to make a choice." Said him.

"What choice my lord ?" She was in between confusion and terror. She knew the words he had were not that nice somehow.

He looked into her eyes with his blues.

"Thranduil's body is not at a risk except the scars and loss of energy though the spell has consumed his light and his fëa struggles to combine with his body," he continued with a sigh.

"It's- is fading and we h-have to sail him to the west before he vanishes into nothing after suffering." It was the hardest part to say as well as to hear.

Not soo long after, the teacup shattered on the ground, cutting the flesh of her legs.

Nienná immediately rose and walked across the shattered pieces of glass towards his bed, marking crimson footsteps on the floor.

She sat next to Thranduil on his bed and,

"You fucking liar! You LIED! YOU LIED TO ME!"

"WAKE! WAKE UP AND ANSWER ME YOU LIAR!!! ANSWER ME!!" She yelled while shaking him as if he's pretending to be asleep.

It didn't take that long for her anger to turn into tears. She hide on his shoulder and moistened his skin with her tears. His body shakes as she sobbed into his chest. She didn't hear anything lord Elrond said or his hand that rested on her back.

"Take me with you please..." She pleaded continuously like a spell. She wept without taking a breath to her lungs. She held her chest for it hurt her. It was miserable and creepy to hear the Echo of her weep that came down across the empty stairway.

As a mother lady, Galadriel slowly took the weeping elleth onto her arms with the help of Alaînien. Nienná couldn't raise herself for sorrow dragged her down to the ground with its weight.

"Isn't there anything you could do for my Ada Lord Elrond?" Legolas couldn't hide the tears that rolled down his high cheekbones. It's true that Thranduil didn't dear him but Legolas couldn't deny the fact that an Ellon who don't know or haven't experienced love, gave him a love that no one could ever imagine.

"It's beyond what I could do with the strength and of my light. I'm sorry..." He answered with both sorrow and condolence while embracing him.

Legolas couldn't help with the tears that jumped out from his eyes. He immediately stormed out from the space to nowhere while breaking the embrace.

Afterwards, Nienná slowly walked towards his bed numbly, opened up the blanket and drowned into deep blank sleep on top of his torso. She heard the rhythm of his heart. Yet, Nienná wasn't ready to let him go nor, let him vanish into nothing.

'I see the stars... underneath your eyes...
Every time you laugh, they shine high bright.

And now I'm here, watching at the stars
There's only dark, please shine back bright.

Meet me at the horizon, in the dawn
Underneath your light, above my dreams
Together we light, the sun bright shine,'

She whispered to his ear.