Two

Isadora's POV 

The sun had risen well enough when I first awoke. Adalynn still lay sleeping soundlessly next to me. She looked very peaceful, and I didn't want to wake her, but it was late morning and we needed to get a start on the day. 

"Come on, Adalynn." I say quietly. "Time to wake up. We slept in."

"How do you know?" She groaned and pulled the blanket over her head. 

"Because I'm older and wiser." I answer.

"I beg to differ on the 'wiser' part." 

"You only wish." 

"I don't need to. I already am." 

"Alright. If you say so. But we need to get up so don't make me pour water on you." I threaten.

"You wouldn't." 

"Darling, who do you think has the magical powers?" 

"Ok, ok. I'm up." She sits up, and i stifle a laugh. Her hair is completely ratted all over her face. "Ugh, I feel disgusting." 

"You look like it too." Adalynn shoots me a death glare. "Hey! I'm sorry, I was joking. Let's go get cleaned up by the stream." I suggest. 

She agrees and we make our way to the river. It was a beautiful day today. The sun provided a comforting warmth and the contrasting light breeze made it feel like a summer's day, though it was nearing fall. Seasons don't really happen here, as Asgard stays a spring like temperature year round. However, there are a few colder months and the leaves on trees turn into bright colours of red and orange. 

We get cleaned up and I conjure a wooden hairbrush for my sister and I. I dampen my hair and brush it out and decide to leave it down, though I knew that I'd probably tie it up within a few minutes. Adalynn leaves her hair combed out and puts her long auburn hair into a low ponytail. 

"I never realized how long your hair was." Adalynn says as we head back to our camp. "You always tie it up into a ponytail or a braid." 

"Thanks? I think." I say awkwardly. 

"You should leave your hair down more often. It's beautiful." 

"So is yours. Probably nicer than mine." 

"Me?" Adalynn says shocked. 

"You've got a very pretty hair colour. Lots of people would be jealous of you." 

"Are you?" She asks smugly. 

"Yeah." I admit. 

"Well, thank you. So, what are we going to do today?"

"You said you wanted me to teach you how to survive in the wild. Training starts today." 

"You're not gonna be make start doing jumping jacks in the middle of the forest are you?" Adalynn asks worridly. 

"Yes. Give me twenty right now." I say jokingly. 

"Are you serious?" 

"Yup! Let's go! Chop chop!" 

Still staring at me in disbelief, Adalynn does her twenty jumping jacks. I Laugh the whole way through, but luckily for her, she finishes fairly qucikly. 

"I hate you." She says, a little out of breath. 

"Love you too."

We took a detour on our way to our campsite so I could teach Adalynn on the basics of hunting. I conjured a bow and arrow for her, and showed her how to shoot. She picked up on it surprisingly quickly and eventually caught her first rabbit. I taught her what plants were ok to eat, and others that would poison you. She too also picked up on this really well. 

"I can tell you love being in the woods." Adalynn comments as we head back to camp. 

"I do. It's a good place to think." 

"Maybe that's why you're never at home. You're always in the forest." 

"Well, sometimes you just need a break from everything." 

"You must get stressed really easily if you're having to run away into the forest all the time." 

"I don't get stressed. I get annoyed." I clarify. 

"Is it because of me?" 

"No, of course not. You're the one person I can tolerate slightly. I suppose father was decent enough. It's mother who's constantly on my bad side." 

"Why do you think you guys never get along?" 

"I don't know, honestly. It could be because I have powers, or father and I had a closer relationship, could be also that she was forced to adopt me." 

"She was forced to adopt you?" 

"You really think mother would just adopt because she wanted to?" 

"Well, mother always wanted another baby. She was really upset that she couldn't have any more." 

"I guess that's part of it. But mother told me that she was forced into adopting me." 

"Why was she forced?" 

"King's orders or something like that. I don't know. But I want to find out." 

"Do you know where your powers came from? Were you born with them? Cursed?" 

I chuckle softly. "If I was cursed, then I'm happy of what came out of it. But I'm pretty sure I was born with them, since I found out about them at such a young age." 

"Did you have any other siblings before you got adopted?" 

"I think I had a brother. But I'm not sure. I've been adopted for around ten years I think so it' hard to recall things like that." 

"Well, it's been the best ten years ever." Adalynn smiles sweetly. 

"Yeah, there's been a few ups and downs, but I've always wanted a sister and now I got one." 

"You think mother's looking for us?" 

"I wouldn't worry about it. She never really cared. Besides, you have me." I nudge her in the side. 

"I know. I just wish our family was normal and we didn't have to do this." 

"I don't think there's ever been a 'normal' family, Adalynn. But it'll get better." 

"I just really don't want to be living in the forest for my whole life." 

"You won't. I'll get us out of here. There's a small village on the other side of the forest, so that'll be our new home once we get through the bush." 

"Well then, what are we waiting for! Let's go!" 

"Easy there. We're going to take this one step at a time. We can't just rush through the forest." 

"Why not?" 

"Because we don't have nearly enough food or water, and you don't know how to fully protect yourself and hunt." 

"So once we got all our supplies we can go?" 

"Yes. Then we can go." 

The next few days are spent hunting and gathering. Adalynn progressively gets more confident in her hunting abilities so I give her more responsibilities and she follows through on them really well. I feel like a proud parent. Not everything goes according to plan, however. Adalynn almost caused a huge forest fire by adding a lot of firewood that had been sitting out in the hot sun for ages. That experience gave her quite a scare, though I assured her countless times that it was ok and I wasn't mad. Hell, I've made them same mistake a few times when I was out on my own. Nonetheless, she needed her time to recover, so I gave her just that. 

About two weeks had passed since we first had ran into the woods, and now we were ready to start moving again. We got a head start on the day and began making our way through the woods.