Chapter 3: A New Job?

Chapter 3:
The one where we help others make the light they see at the other end of the tunnel...

Leigh was awoken by something rather unusual. A sneeze. But not any ordinary sneeze. A cute sneeze? Tiptoeing out of the room she found Jade in the kitchen with a whisk in her hand, holding it like a microphone.

"Cause I'm frozen in motion and my head tells me to stop- Oh morning Leigh! Was the radio too loud?"

"Uhm, no..."
"I was, wasn't I. Sorry."
"Please it's fine, honestly."
"Thanks. Well, I was making pancakes. Want to help?"
"Sure, although I could be a hindrance."
"No, you won't. I'll show you how I make them."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"So, when do you want to start? Working, I mean."

"Whenever you think I should. I'm not experienced and anytime is fine. Even now."

"Well, today I have a meeting to sort out some timetables. I think you should tag along with me. I could ask if they have any vacancies."

"Ok sure."

"Let's get you changed and makeup." She led Leigh into another room: a closet with a makeup shelf. Standing back, Jade put her finger to her chin as she scanned the collection, searching for a set that would look perfect on Leigh.

"Aha!" Jade pulled out a simple black dress, with a flared skirt ending just above her knees and holes at the shoulders.

"Oh wow! This is nice!"

"Yes, and it's why I want you to wear it."

Leigh went into the bathroom and changed, not believing Jade would let her wear such clothes. Stepping out, Jade clapped her hands.

"And we need to do your makeup and get a pair of shoes."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Three, two, one, turn two, three, arms up, FANS, lift your head, lean forwards, tilt your head, CUT!"

By the end of the meeting (through which Leigh Anne sat engrossed in level 673 of Candy Crush Saga on Jade's phone), Kamille was happy to give Leigh a small job for modelling, with Jade of course. Right now they were in the photography studio since they planned to do the background on a green screen. Leigh watched in awe as Jade spread her arms and moved gracefully in front of the cameras. She was modelling for a clothing brand, Pretty Little Thing, Leigh thought. The company and label had allowed Leigh to join Jade for a few snaps, and to watch her so that Leigh could get an idea of what it was like to model. Not being a surprise, she enjoyed it. She loved how all the makeup, hair, and costume artists would crowd over Jade and give her the best of the best treatment and style. Leigh couldn't believe that Jade and Kamille were offering her such a glamourous job.

"Ok Leigh-Anne, you're next. Make your way to the dressing room and the assistants will help you."

"Come on Leigh," Jade said as she led her into the changing room, where around 10 people or so were waiting patiently for her.

"I'll be right back... They need me to do a few more takes."

Leigh looked around.

"This way please!" An assistant directed her to a rack where multiple costumes and outfits of different sizes and colours were arranged.

"Ok so wear this."
"And this."
"Look this way."
"Tilt your head to the side."
"Stretch your arms up."
"Turn around."
"Arch your back."
"Smile."
"Put these on."