X. Lilies

─•~❉᯽❉~•─

You opened your eyes to a bright light above you. You turn your head to see Mildred holding your hand, crying. She looks up and her gaze meets yours. "Y/N!"

This wasn't the first time you'd woke up to Mildred right by your side when you wanted her most. You tried to give her a smile and say her name over and over but you felt something in your mouth and down your throat. It was a plastic tube.

"Nurse! Nurse!"

A nurse opened the door and Mildred smiled.
"Get the doctor. She's awake." The nurse closed the door and ran to get the doctor. You tried to speak but the tube was blocking you from making any sound. "Shhh. No, no, no don't speak, don't speak." She whispered. "You're going to be all right." You stared into her beautiful brown eyes and just focused on her soothing voice. "You just stay with me, my love." She grasped your hand and you held it tightly. She brought her other hand to your cheek and caressed it, carefully. You still managed to give her a smile through the pain that coursed through your body.

The doctor came in and asked a bunch of questions, removed IVs, and checked a bunch of things before letting you rest for the night. And Mildred was there the whole time, right by your side.

***
The next day, later at night in the infirmary, a nurse was fixing a tube that was sticking in your chest. You winced in pain and she was finally finished as Nurse Ratched walked in.

"Hi. Doctor tells me you're out of the woods. How do you feel?" She asks. The nurse lowered your arm as she fixed whatever the machine next to you was doing.

"Like I've been shot." You replied. "I don't recommend it." The nurse got up from your side and pats your arm lightly. "Thank you." You say to her quietly before she exits the room, closing the door.

"Well you look good." Mildred said with a small smile tugging at her lips.

"No, I don't." You replied. "But thank you." You scoff and then groan at the sudden pain in your chest. "Ow. Every time I laugh, it feels like I'm being stabbed in the chest with a damn hot poker. But at least I'm laughing." You say glancing back up at Mildred. "So that's something."

She looks down at you with her angelic smile plastered on her face and she sits down next to you. "You know, I never was a fan of dances anyways." You chuckled, then feeling the sharp again in your chest. You wrapped an arm around it and huff.

"Are you alright?" Mildred said, grasping your hand.

"I am now." You grinned.

************
The next two weeks were filled with physical therapy sessions until you could finally walk normally and go about like a healthy person. You went through a lot of pain and struggle to get where you were now. Mildred had been holding off all of your treatment for you while your recovered. Five days after the dance, Lily payed you a visit. You and Mildred were chatting when you were interrupted by a knock at the door.

"Come in." You said.

Lily poked her head in the door. Your eyes widened at the sight of her as you remembered what happened at the dance. She was holding a bouquet of flowers in her hand and slightly smiled.

"Hi y/n."

"I'll leave you two be." Mildred said as she left the room, smiling at Lily. She closed the door behind her and you looked down, fumbling with your fingers.

"How are you feeling?" Lily asked, walking towards your bed.

"Better." You responded, looking forward. "I'm sorry, Lily." You looked into her sorrowful eyes. "At the dance. I- I wished I could dance with you too."

"It's okay. It's okay y/n. Don't worry about that. I shouldn't have touched you like that and asked you-"

She cut herself off as your grasped her hand and she looked down at your intertwined digits.

"I would have loved to dance with you, Lily."

She looked back up into your eyes and smiled.

"I- I brought you these." She said nervously handing you the flowers.

"Thank you Lily. They're lovely."

She nods and looks over to see a vase. She takes the flowers back and walks to the small table, carefully placing the flowers in the vase.

"I'll get a nurse to put some water in there." You say, admiring the bouquet. She smiles and looks down.

"I should probably go. It was really good to see you, y/n. Peter misses you at meal time...but probably not as much as I do." She laughs a bit.

"You too Lily. Thank you. Tell Peter I said I miss him too.

She nods and winks before opening the door.

"Will do. Goodnight y/n." She chimed sweetly.

Mildred nods at her before walking back in. She looks over at the flowers on the table.

"I'll get some water for those." She said before walking back out of the room.

"What kind of flowers are they?" You asked.  She turned back around at the doorframe and looked back over to them.

"They're Lilies."

———————————————————————
A/N: Hey everyone! Sorry this chapter is short I just thought it had the appropriate ending:) Next chapter coming very soon!!

~Del💚