Chapter 1

Chapter 1: knowing her place

Fauna

           I looked outside through my window, the guards training in the field with my elder brothers. I wondered why I wasn’t allowed to train like them, they were females in the army. I knew how to handle a sword at the age of seven, shot my first arrow at eight and now I can shoot a target ten meters away with my eyes closed so why can’t I be in the army, I can do a lot more than what some persons in the army can, I was a very good choice for the army still I was looked down on.

‘Princess Fauna, Hildegard, Leigh-Anne, Archibald, I hope you are not watching your brothers train’ that was my mother, Queen Merida. I quickly left the balcony of my room and settled by my tea table pretending to read a magazine. She entered the room and looked around.

‘why? Hello Mother’ I said with a smile, she glared at me

‘what are you wearing Fauna?’ I looked down at my jean and sneakers, I looked at my mother, she was formally dressed in her ball gown and her tiara, was there an occasion I didn’t know about.

(dress idea)

‘I’m not going anywhere mother so I decided to be plain’

‘this is plain, get rid of those awful clothes immediately. Guests are in the premises, be in the ballroom in five minutes’ I sighed getting up as she left. She stopped shortly by my door ‘and do something with your hair, you look a mess’ she said finally and left closing the door behind her. I looked at my reflection in the mirror, I looked good. My personal maid entered my room, giving me a brief curtsy

‘don’t let her get to you your highness’

‘I don’t actually. Who are these guests to be precise?’

‘they are from England your highness; this should do since I know you’d be here again in an hour’s time’

‘you know too much Elizabeth’ I replied with a chuckle taking the blue dress from her and putting it on. I didn’t apply makeup because I wasn’t going to stay long there. I just needed my father to see I was present and when he was busy discussing I’ll be back here practicing my archery.

 I just needed my father to see I was present and when he was busy discussing I’ll be back here practicing my archery