Chapter 1

Cadence's POV
BEEP BEEP! The sound of my annoying electric alarm clock filled my tiny dusty bedroom. I'm amazed it still works, because I have had it for years, and only once have I changed the batteries. Of course, I hit the snooze button. I hate giving in to the aggravating noise. After letting out a heavy groan, I sighed, knowing what kind of day I have ahead of me. But it's just like any other day I live through.

After two more rounds of hitting the snooze button, I flipped over in my bed and rubbed sleep from my eyes. I sat up, taking my damn time then slowly stood onto the ground, making my way to my small half-bath. I turned on the shower, knowing it's going to be another cold one. My father hasn't repaired our broken water pipes and won't even pay a handy man to get the job done.

Once I stripped, I didn't hesitate to get into the shower. When the pipes have been broken for so long now, you get used to dealing with the cold temperature. I only rinsed my hair with conditioner, because if I am going to spend the little money I earn, then I won't be spending it on shampoo.

I finished my shower quickly and dried off in a towel. Even the towel is starting to unravel some like my life. But it's no big deal. I am not worried about a fucking towel. I'm more worried about making it to work on time when I have to ride a bicycle. I'm 15 and can't drive a car yet, but even if I could, I wouldn't be allowed to, because my parents only have a car for themselves as a "luxury". They will yell at me if I even leave my fingerprint on it.

I changed into my work uniform. I work at a restaurant that's in my neighborhood. I could walk there if I wanted to, and sometimes I choose to, but other days, when I am running behind schedule, the bike is my only option.

I like my job as a waitress. The customers are friendly, the chefs are nice, but my main concern is Andrew, the manager. I have to give in to him touching me and throwing himself on me, if I want to keep my job. And I can't leave and find another job, because of so many reasons I'm unable to list right now.

Grabbing my purse and throwing the strap around my shoulder, I exited my room and made my way into the "family" room. "I am headed to work," I announced, even though it was more to myself. My mother, who was sitting on the sofa in front of the TV with a lit cigarette between her fingers, turned her head toward me. She looked at me with her cold, hateful, dark brown eyes, before facing the TV without saying anything.

I rolled my eyes. "Thanks for caring!" I grabbed a piece of bread on my way out then slammed the door, not giving two damns if I take it off its hinges. As I walked to my bicycle, parked in front of our fence, I dug around my purse for my anxiety meds. My anxiety meds are the only thing my parents will actually pay for me, knowing I need it and they rather spend money on that instead of wasting a dime on therapy for me. I grabbed the bottle of the medication and shoved a pill into my mouth, swallowing it without water. I hopped onto my bike, then began making my way down the street, eating my piece of bread.

Now, you guys may be wondering if I even love my parents. Well, of course I do. Sure, they are deadbeats, but I still love them. I know I am the mistake they made, and they remind me of that every day, even without having to tell me, I still know it's the truth.

My parents haven't showed any appreciation to me since the day they brought me into this world. They have always spoiled my other siblings. They went all out for my brother Jeremy's wedding in Costa Rica. Then they paid for my other brother Riker's college and allowed my sister Andrea to study abroad in Spain. I would love to study abroad when I enter college, so I can leave this hellhole. Anything would be better than staying here.

My only friend in my life is Luna (the moon). She's only there at night, but she never leaves me. I like sitting by my windowsill and staring at her, knowing she gives me comfort as she guides me through my darkest days. She is beautifully lit, and that's my only assurance that my life will be okay.