chapter 1

"350 ml boiled and cooled milk venum a?" Sivaangi scratched her head in confusion, "boil panna milk 350 ml okay. Adhu enna cool milk? Refrigerate pannanum oh?" She asked herself before writing them down.

  The guy in the video made the preparation of rasamalai look so easy as if pouring out water to a glass, which tempted Sivaangi to try out the recipe.

"Evlo naal dhan saaptu matum irukuradhu! Samaichu paapom," she decided and watched the whole video to write down the ingredients so that we could buy them while returning from her music class.

Sivaangi is a young, free-spirited, take life as it comes kind of girl who lives away from her family as she wants to experience the real world on her own, much to her parents dismay and is working as a music teacher.

She is multi talented. She can even make a stone talk. But what our girl can't do is cooking. Poor soul! For someone who loves to eat, the Chennai city offered her different cuisines each day. Sometimes street food, sometimes buffet, sometimes Star hotels too. But never once from her home kitchen.

When her neighbour Kani shared her cooking recipe, she gave her a sheepish smile sharing her disastrous experience in cooking.

"Na cooking try pannen ka! Aana oven vedikudhu! Satti thee la pogudhu! So amma enna kitchen pakkam serthukka ve ila. Nanum kaththukala!"

Kani laughed hearing Sivaangi's cooking stories. This girl is what we call as magic. She can make anyone around her feel home with her unfiltered talks. Every conversation with her ends with the other person feel so excited to talk to her the next time.

Sivaangi has been residing in that apartment for six months and she has become a popular name already.

Her innocence, spontaneity, honesty and chirping nature brought her close to almost all the women out there. They made sure to take care of Sivaangi's everyday meal and at times even took care of her cravings.

But unfortunately while watching a Korean series, YouTube suggested the video of a particular cooking channel which was titled- "how to make rasamalai in fifteen minutes at home," which caught her interest.

Spending one day to note down the ingredients, next day Sivaangi brought all the necessary ingredients to home. Third day she rewatched the videos with English subtitles for better understanding.

"Evlo time paakurom o avlo knowledge kedaikum!" She convinced herself.

Fourth day she learnt how to make sugar syrup and was even content with the taste.

Fifth day she chopped nuts and kept them in refridgerator.

She took break on sixth and seventh day only for the ingredients to get expired.

With determination, she brought the ingredients again on eight day and placed them over the kitchen counter.

After refreshing, Sivaangi stood infront of her Guruvayoor Krishnan to seek his blessings for the dangerous task- COOKING AT KITCHEN without anyone's help.

"Krishna! Fire service a koopdura alavuku edhum sambhavam aayira koodadhu!" She prayed in her mind.

"Cha, indha Kani akka ipo dhan ooruku ponuma? Irundha andha akka va help ku kooptrupen!" Sivaangi said while lightening the gas stove, "step one successful."

"Ilala, andhakka oor la irundhu vandhadhum rasamalai epdi pannanum nu I will teach her!" She confidently smiled after keeping the vessel filled with milk for boiling.

"Step two done" she proudly lifted her imaginary collars, "enaku theramai iruku pa!"

When the milk began to boil she immediately turned to her right to take the lemon.

Contemplating whether to squeeze a whole lemon or just half of it, Sivaangi left the kitchen to look for her notes leaving the milk to boil.

"Munnadi dhana vechen! Enga poirukum?" She stood in the centre od her hall and started looking at all the directions trying to find her cooking notes.

"Seri phone laiye again video la paathukalam!" deciding she started looking for her mobile.

"Thedurapo edhum kedaikadhey!" Annoyed much she thought of asking any of her neighbours to give her mobile a call so that she could find it.

"Aiyaiyoo! Mobile silent la potrundha?" She stilled for a second but quickly composed herself saying, "silent la irundhalum vibration aagum la. Kandupidichiralam!"

Walking out of the door she saw a tall person wearing a purple tee and track pants trying to unlock Kani akka's door.

"Hey! Thirudan!" Was her quick response and looked out for any weapon to attack the thief.

She took her cactus plant for the rescue and immediately slammed it across the thief's face when he turned around perhaps to attack her- well that's what she thought.

"Ouchhh!" The young man screamed and immediately covered his face to save himself from further violence.

"Listen! I'm not a thief. Yarachum luggage oda vandhu thiruduvagala?" The man asked in his base voice still hiding his face in his palms.

That's when Sivaangi noticed one travel bag lying on the floor along with an empty water bottle.

"Then who are you?" Sivaangi asked having a tight hold over the cactus plant and waited.

"Ma, nee yaaru ma?" The young man finally showed his face and met her eyes.

He looked handsome, actually very handsome- the kind of face every girl will fall in love with. Sivaangi's heart skipped a beat and she noticed few bruises making appearance on his face already.

"Can't you see? I live here," Sivaangi said pointing her finger towards her door and asked, "Now tell me! Who are you?"

"I'm Ashwin. Kani's younger brother." Ashwin said and took his traveler's bag.

"Oh! I'm Sivaangi!" Sivaangi said and felt bad for attacking him.

"Wait!" Sivaangi immediately rushed inside her house too take the first aid kit.

"Here! Apply this!" She gave him a ointment and a painkiller.

"Did you forget something?" Ashwin asked trying not to yelp in pain while continued applying the ointment.

"Sorry," Sivaangi said and exhaled deeply. "I didn't know Kani akka has got a brother," she added.

"Even I didn't know Kani akka has got such a horrible cook as her neighbour! Ashwin retorted and handed over the ointment.

"What?" Sivaangi asked confused and that's when she remembered the milk she kept for boiling.

"Paal theenju pona smell varadhu kooda theriyama investigation pannitu irukeenga!" Ashwin chuckled and unlocked the door.

"Shit! Shit!" Sivaangi literally broke the door and ran inside her house witnessing one more failure attempt at cooking.

*********************

Any comments?

Hmm, I love to explore Ashwin's witty side here. An experimental writing I guess.

Have you guys watched oh mana penne? Ashwin literally owned the screen with his presence. Though it was short, he made sure to leave a mark. Can't wait for ENNA SOLLA POGIRAI.