chapter-2

What a lovely day, perfect in every sense, that was what Ashwin thought when he opened the balcony of his house to let in the early morning cool breeze.

But instead what greeted him was a grey mass of smoke that directly entered his lungs.

"What the hell!" Ashwin screamed and immediately ran towards his neighbour's house and knocked on it.

"Shivaani! Enna pandreenga?" Ashwin shouted in top of his voice and continued banging the door.

Sivaangi opened the door and was in her PJs. She had covered her mouth and nose with a scarf- her safety measures to protect her from the smog but she was coughing spuriously.

She widened her eyes to see Ashwin standing infront of her door in just his shorts and no shirt.

"First, it's Sivaangi. Who's Shivaani? And wear a shirt," she instructed and stood infront of the door blocking the way.

"Romba mukkiyam! Thallunga first!" Ashwin rushed inside her house, which was covered with the grey smoke all over.

"Enna ma idhu? What are you? The Powerpuff girl?" Ashwin asked.

"There- kitc- in kitchen!" Sivaangi said pointing towards the kitchen, her voice muffled from the cloth.

Ashwin ran towards the kitchen and saw the black remains of a charred vessel on the stove.

"Mudinchchuu!" Ashwin said.

"Gas knob work aagala. The flame keeps burning," Sivaangi exclaimed, "yaar mela fault? Gas stove mela dhan fault!" Sivaangi said throwing up her hands in air.

"Aama aama, un veetla kitchen irukuradhu dhan periya fault," Ashwin immediately turned off the gas valve.

He carefully removed the charred vessel which was once a glorious cooker and threw it in the sink.

"Seri sollu!" Ashwin asked folding his arms over his bare chest.

"Enna sollu? First go and wear a shirt!" Sivaangi said removing the cloth that covered her mouth.

"You actually had no idea what to do! I saved you. Thanks sollu."

"You actually had no idea of saving me. You did it because you didn't want to get bronchitis," Sivaangi said glaring at him.

"Seriously!" Ashwin asked moving a little forward towards her while Sivaangi shrugged off.

"Did I invite you in?" Sivaangi moved a little forward this time, making Ashwin stop in his track.

"You came inside, you turned off the gas valve and now you are demanding a thank you!" Sivaangi said and noticed his bruised face.

She walked over to the slab and took a box. She opened the lid and peaked inside the container before closing it again and shoved them in Ashwin's hand.

"Well! I made them. Eat this. And this gulab jamuns are actually a token of apology from my part," Sivaangi said waiting for Ashwin to eat her masterwork.

"You made them?" Ashwin looked at her and the box suspiciously before looking at the charred vessel lying inside the sink.

"Ada enna pa aalu ne! Taste it first!" Sivaangi ushered him.

Ashwin opened the lid to see tiny jamuns of various size and shape floating in the sugar syrup.

He took a piece and looked at it closely. Deciding not to eat it straight away, he divided it into two halves and observed their texture.

Enna dissection lam pandraan, Sivaangi thought in her mind and watched his antics.

"Ivaru periya MasterChef paaru!" Sivaangi said wearing a boring expression and took the sweetbox from his hands.

Ashwin wore a smug look and muttered something under his breathe and ate the half piece.

He closed his eyes as if savoring it's taste, not wanting to erase the taste from his memory. He opened his eyes and looked at Sivaangi who was eagerly waiting for his compliments with hopeful eyes.

"This reminds my paati," Ashwin said.

"Really! That's a huge compliment! Sivaangi squirmed in joy and clapped her hands.

"Yeah, she had Alzheimer's. If I continue eating one more jamun of yours, I will end up like my paati," Ashwin smirked.

Sivaangi felt stupid for thinking his earlier words as compliment. "What? Po ya yov! Velila po." Sivaangi shouted in irritation.

"It's true. You don't know the art of cooking. It has to be done with passion." Ashwin said and walked towards the door.

Before leaving he turned around, "By the way I was right. You are a horrible cook," he said with a devilish grin adoring his face.

********

How was the chapter?

Do let me know how much you like their banters! I actually enjoy writing them this way.

I hope you don't find it boring.

Thank you for all your votes and comments.

Keep supporting.

Take care.