hundred forty-six

Everyone landed on the platform in the same place they had left. They were all looking around, checking over each other. Y/N immediately felt a sense of deed sadness.

"Did we get them all?" Bruce asked.

"You telling me this'll actually work?" Rhodey added.

Clint fell to his knees. He was all wet with a dazed look in his eyes.

"No," Y/N gasped, coming to the realization of what happened. She shook her head and stumbled backwards, Tony quickly coming to steady her. "No."

"Clint, where's Nat?" Bruce carefully asked.

Clint looked down, tears rolling down his face, silently giving them the answer. Y/N began crying into Tony's neck as he tried to comfort her. Bruce fell onto his knees and hit the floor in grief. Slowly, each person walked off the platform and heading to their rooms. To change, to mourn... Those who had a Stone, dropped it off in the lab, where Rocket said that he would watch them until everyone was ready.

Tony was practically carrying Y/N has they headed to their room. By the time they arrived, her cries were simply small sniffles and hiccups. They worked together in silence, helping get other change. There was nothing sexual about it, just incredibly intimate. Like they were both making sure the other was alright and that they were actually okay. Once done, Tony pulled Y/N in for a loving kiss, making sure it was gentle and that he was pouring all the words he couldn't say into it.

Holding each other close, they headed out to the dock, where they already saw Clint there. The other original Avengers soon joined them, all grieving the loss of their friend. Steve was seated on a bench, tears slowly trailing down his cheeks. Tony was next to him, standing with one foot on the bench. The others were around the dock, each looking out on the water.

"Do we know if she had family?" Tony wondered.

"Tony-" Y/N sighed.

"Yeah. Us," Steve responded.

"What?" Thor asked, confused.

"Huh?" Tony responded.

"What are you doing?"

"I just asked a question-"

"Yeah, you're acting like she's dead. Why are we acting like she's dead? We have the Stones, right? As long as we have the Stones, Cap, we can bring her back, isn't that right?" Thor growled. "So stop this shit. We're the Avengers, get it together."

"We can't get her back," Clint stated.

"Wha-what?"

"It's can't be undone." He glanced Y/N's way, who was clinging to herself and not looking at the others. "It can't."

Thor dryly laughed. "I'm sorry. No offense, but you're a very earthly being. Okay? We're talking about space magic. And "can't" seems very definitive don't you think?"

"Yeah, look, I know that I'm way outside my pay grade here. But she still isn't here, is she?"

"No, that's my point-"

"It can't- be undone. Or that's at least what the red floating guy had to say. Maybe you wanna go talk to him, okay? GO GRAB YOUR HAMMER, AND YOU GO FLY AND TALK TO HIM!" Clint's anger quickly changed back to grief. "It was supposed to be me. She sacrificed her life for that goddamn Stone. She bet her life on it."

"Y/N?" Steve called. She inhaled sharply, already knowing what was about to be asked. "Is there anything you can do?"

"The Stones are powerful," Y/N whispered, not making a move to face anyone just yet. "And I am powerful with the Stones. But..." She slowly turned around. "But I cannot bring her back."