16 - Hongjoong

The Leader has always taken initiative to be the voice of his people, yet only at times when he's tired and empty, he would have passed this meeting onto Seonghwa, his right-hand man.

No matter how exhausted or weary he was, he had to finish the job either way, it was the responsibility of being the captain of the ship.

Producing, choreographing, and writing the music of the group was as stressful one could ever do for the gang. But their high set of motivation and determination made making music fun. Back when they were youths, the group consisted of eight music junkies, it was a hassle yet draining to take these kids in as a family. One would be hyper, one would be serious, one would be exaggerating. The outcome of the songs were miraculous due to their colourful contributions. It was a fruitful time.

Yet saving these boys plus leading them took the years off of Hongjoong's life drastically. He was not prepared to be the Leader of something so utterly grave and serious. The difference between being the captain before versus now...he was not having a fruitful time.

"Guys...can I ask a question about the Giants?"

"That's why we're having this meeting, no? Haha...shoot." Mars said.

"What exactly are they? And how are they made if not human? Spending so much effort for a simple little hourglass seems.....too dramatic."

After having woken up after days of rest, Hongjoong immediately consulted the siblings for more information about Strictland. If one must survive, they must be ready for the knowledge they're about to uncover.

Mars cupped his hands and looked gravely at Hongjoong. "Like I said before, the Cromer's like an urban legend in Strictland, I don't know exactly how its reputation flourished, but one day we came to know about it. A bi-product weapon used by the Black Pirates, if not for the little hourglass, it might have not given hope to both the Eight but to its people too. I'm telling you, it's that important.

How the Giants were made, however...I cannot say. We were merely citizens of Strictland, we don't know everything, I'm sorry."

Hongjoong crossed his arms and pondered, rubbing his throbbing head. He has had many headaches before, but they were due to trivial things. A lost file after hours of hard work, not enough money to buy food, or maybe his boys dragged him into their personal problems again, this case however...it was quite heavier.

Hongjoong asked again. "What's their purpose then?"

"They were basically 'guardians' of Strictland, the Clerics knew how underpowered they are compared to the Black Pirates, so they collectively brought out the best builders and scientists to create another bioweapon...que the White-Clad Giants. After they got what they wanted, they stored the scientists for future use..."

"....Are Clerics like, government officials? How the hell did it become this bad?"

Mars only laughed evilly, yet he didn't answer his question. Hongjoong thought this man's time and place was just altered differently, so he paid no mind to it.

A thought came into Hongjoong's mind, and he frowned even more. "....They were once humans....how did it become this way...?"

Mars and Kyung-Hu both looked at each other bitterly. The weight of that question was too difficult to answer, even just a simple phrase may not fully bring justice to it.

It was true that Strictland's citizens were once humans...and they still are. No matter what crime or mistake they have committed, at the end of the day, they were still people who were wronged by the same society that they swore to be protected by. And this was validly the consequence. Hongjoong guessed that the overseer hadn't realised that, and they were just psychopaths who inadvertently took rule of a land?