28 - Yeosang [SPECIAL CHAPTER]

6:34 AM

Waking up from a peaceful morning, Yeosang found it more eerie to find his bed empty with silence. He could have been grateful for waking up to a still sunrise, yet considering he lives with nine rowdy people, it was more unnatural than relaxing. Not even his friend, San, who tends to oversleep could be found. As Yeosang yawned and stretched to his side to find it empty, he steered as he just remembered.

It was his birthday today.

He had his hopes up for some reason. He had found some clues that the group had already planned some preparations for it in the past, but he didn't exactly pinpoint what they had put up for him. Had he not expected anything, obviously something was off, and he was willing to play along for their sake.

Often than not, he questions whether celebrations in the middle of a deadly and serious situation would be even appropriate. Celebrating on your own volition while the other side suffers, it all feels slightly familiar to his old life back when he was under the protection of his parents. Like, "they weren't allowed to be happy because others had it worse". This exact mindset has limited his potential as a child, but noticing it now, he was basically doing the same thing.

Yeosang scrunched his nose up and sat up, ruffling his hair and stretched again. Rather than feeling guilty, his mind began wandering off about how to take this situation to his advantage. Recalling the memories of when the boys were overwhelmed when they first arrived gave his heart an ache severely. There were barely any activities or the right environment to tend to their well-beings that they felt almost insane to the point of going mad to cope. Maybe a celebration was a distraction?

"There are...things that we do that don't need explaining, sometimes people cope by reminding themselves what being human feels like, even if they forget. What's better is that it works."

Maybe a celebration during this situation was a simple reminder that, I am human. There are flaws in ourselves worth celebrating, even if the world punishes me for it. With that in mind, Yeosang felt less guilty.

There are chores that needed to be done at first dawn in the morning (and since they don't have that much on their hands), but something tells Yeosang that he could be exempted from that today, plus the letter he found lying next to him.

It gave Yeosang's heart a jump as he chuckled to himself. "Ah, here we go..."

He prepared himself for the surprise, and as soon as he read the content of the letter, Yeosang flashed a small smile and giggled.

The letter contained a pirate design with a logo on the back, yet what read at the front contained:

"Morning to the rising sunshine of eight,

Promises of lifting the burden of weight

Your friend Woo-ong has come to ease

The stomach that rumbles for a please

PS. If you don't understand, that means my gift for you is my cooking!!! I made you breakfast!! <3

From your FIRST dearest bestest best friend, (and handsomest) Jung Wooyoung"

Yeosang found himself holding his heart.

From there, he had already guessed what type of preparation his friends did "behind his back". It was a treasure hunt type quest. He figured that the boys were probably by the dining area now, ready with their confettis, fumbling to stay in one piece together. But as soon as he entered, his eyes found no one and no confetti. He tilted his head and wondered deeply, was this not it? Nothing had changed inside the room except a piece of neat cutlery displayed with all his favourite dishes in one place on his table, standard Korean breakfast with rice, soup, meat, side dishes and more. Smoke danced on top of each bowl that it made Yeosang's mouth water. At the same time, the scene gave a peaceful vibe that made Yeosang's heart warm with gratefulness.