Chapter 3

"Oh my God, they're insane! Mom, how could you do this? Oh my God, I'm gonna die! Oh my God, oh my God!" Isinubsob ni Yanah ang mukha sa mga palad nito at nagpapadyak 'to.

Hinagod ni Mila ang likod ng kapatid, at helpless na napabaling sa kanilang mama.

But their mother looked as grim as their father. "We know this not ideal, Alyanah, but marriage between the families–"

"No!" her sister wailed, the sound vibrating throughout the tiled walls of the powder room. "I'm not marrying him! I won't! I won't! God!"

Hinagilap ng dalaga pabukas ang pinto at tumakbo 'to palabas ng restroom.

Agad nilang hinabol ang kapatid.

"Alyanah!" sigaw ng ina.

Her sister ran down the hall and almost collided with the tall man who got out of the study.

Mateo's strong muscular frame dwarfed the younger woman's petite physique. He looked so severe as he stood there in the hallway with his dark clothes, arctic gaze, and commanding build, and Alyanah looked so frail with her faded jumper, watery eyes, and trembling form.

Mila's stomach cramped as she stared at them.

They looked so... wrong. Disjointed puzzle pieces that would rip if forced together.

Her sister was ripping apart now.

"Oh, my God..." Alyanah burst into another fit of tears and ran past Mateo.

Matulin 'tong umakyat sa grand staircase.

Their mother blew out a ragged breath, then strode off to follow her younger sister. Tipid itong ngumiti kay Mateo nang madaanan nito ang binata.

Mila's insides were a jumbled mess like someone took razor forks to her gut and plowed it over and over. And when Mateo threw her an inscrutable look, the knot in her abdomen twisted even more.

He turned his back on her and headed off to the exit.

"Wait," she bit out, her heart hammering, her legs moving before she could even think of it.

Tumakbo siya papunta sa lalaki at humarang sa harapan nito.

He seemed larger as he stood there with her in the hallway. But Mila forced herself to stand her ground.

"You know about this?" bulalas niya.

His gaze was arctic. "Of course."

Knots of ice formed in her stomach. "W-why...God, why would you agree to this? Yanah's barely twenty! She's a child!"

"Your parents and grandparents do not think so."

Hindi siya makapaniwalang napatitig lang dito.

Was he for real? How could he be so cold about this? So calm? Like he was merely commenting about an inconvenient piece of automobile parts!

"You can't do this. It's not right. This can't happen! You and Alyanah can't–"

His big hand shot out, his strong fingers gripping her chin, making her heart jump to her throat. Mateo leaned down, their hot breaths mingling, and the dark warning in his eyes reminded Mila that Mateo was not the type of man who turned his other cheek when someone slapped him.

No. This was the man rumored to have ordered a hit on a then-incumbent official in the region. Mateo Augustus Vidal was the man suspected of hiring hitmen to gun down Mayor Badillo in the man's vehicle in broad daylight.

Fear coated her insides. But she also felt something else–something hot, dark, and sinful humming beneath her skin.

Mateo's cold gaze drifted down to her parted lips, and she had to clench her muscles to stop herself from shaking. His brown eyes darkened even more, and he slid his gaze slowly back to her eyes.