0.02

not alone

not alone

Lucas's pov // Subway station, the next day

Currently, I am headed to subway, so I send a text to Maxine... we exchanged numbers last night:

Locking my phone, I wait for her at the tracks

Locking my phone, I wait for her at the tracks. God, why am I so nervous... I just met her last night. Once I finally see her, I sigh in relief.

"Hey, you made it."

"Yeah, I did. I believe you have a muffin with my name on it," she says with a laugh.

"Here you go," I say while handing it to her.

She takes it and says, "Thank you, Lu."

I quirk an eyebrow. "Lu?"

"A nickname I'm trying out," she says, her face turning red.

I smile. "I like it."

"Good." The subway arrives and we get on, finding a seat... preferably next to each other... Before we know it, we arrive at the station close to the school-- Abigail Adams High School.

"Whoa." She says in awe.

"Ditto..."

"Did you just say ditto?"

"Yes, I did, Ma'm." I say, tipping an imaginary hat... repeating my actions from yesterday.

"You have to stop doing that." I think I just made her blush again...

I smirk. "Why?"

"Because I asked nicely?" She sounds unsure of herself. 

"Are you sure you want me to stop, Ma'm?" I tip an imaginary hat once again...

She clears her throat, her face tinting red. "Please?"

"Okay, I'll stop."

"Thank you."

"Of course..." We make our way to our first class, which just so happens to be taught by Mr.Mathews... History was brutal for all of us, including him. And that was because this girl... Marley, I think, kept questioning everything he said... when the bell rang, our friend group was confronted by a few upperclassman who put us in something called the "hole".

"There has to be a reason for this," Riley says.

"There isn't," Farkle states, rolling his eyes.

"I have to believe that there is..."

"Shut up, Riley," Maya snips.

"Peaches!" Riley exclaims, seeming appalled.

Maya turns on Riley. "Don't call me that. You can't call me that. You are the reason Max left. You are the reason I lost my best friend."

"I thought I was your best friend..." She says, tears in her eyes.

"Well, you're not." Maya snips once again.

"Maya, stop. It's not worth it." Maxine says, interrupting the argument.

Maya looks at her. "I'm on your side, not Riley's."

"I know and I appreciate it."

"I'm on your side too," Farkle chimes in.

"Me too," I say, agreeing with them both.

"We're here for you, all of us." Smackle says, Zay nodding. This seems to surprise her because she just met the three of us yesterday.

"Thank you, Smackle."

"Of course," she says, smiling...

When the day is over, I walk Maxine home from the subway.

"Thank you, Lu."

"No problem... Look, I'm sorry about today."

"What for?"

"What Riley said..."

"She's said worse."

"How much worse?" I ask, concerned.

"Let's just file that under things I'm not ready to talk about yet... Ok?"

"Ok. Like I said, whenever you're ready..."

"Thank you."

"Of course." We arrive at her apartment building and she heads upstairs after we exchange goodbyes...what I didn't know was what tomorrow would bring and that terrified me...

...

...

a/n: Just so you know, I am dedicating this book to @Cheerios1234567 because she came up with the title of this book... Hope you guys like the chapter!