01

[Small trigger warning. Brief mention of abuse. If you are sensitive to such and can't read the small portion, take care of yourselves.]

December 9, 1941

Daniel muttered to himself as he searched for his younger brother, "Steve, if you're fighting again, I'm gonna kick your ass into tomorrow."

He followed the sounds of grunts and punches and found Steve with balled fists, ready to fight.

Daniel punched the man attacking Steve and said, "Get the hell outta here." He turned to his brother with a frown. "This is what, the fifth time this week?"

"Sixth," Steve mumbled, brushing himself off.

"Right. What was it this time?"

"He insulted the waitress at the diner we frequent."

"While I applaud you for sticking up for a lady, fighting behind an alley isn't the best way to go about it."

"You sound like Bucky."

"Good. Apparently both of us telling you to stop ain't enough. Come on, let's clean you up."

As the two passed a local diner, Lottie Anderson was locking the door.

"So soon, doll?" Daniel asked.

Lottie turned to face him. "With the attack at Pearl Harbor, my boss is more than a little frightened." She noticed Steve's cuts. "Hey, those don't look so good. Can I get you some ice or a towel?"

"Nah, we're good, but thanks."

"Really, it's no trouble. Just let me unlock-" She dropped the keys in the snow and fumbled as she tried to pick them up.

Daniel rushed to help her and noticed a light purple bruise under her eye which she'd covered up. He tilted her head up and asked, "Did he hurt you again?"

Lottie licked her lips. "It was my fault. I came home late and didn't have dinner prepared."

"It's not your fault. No man should hit a lady."

"Nonetheless, my father is who he is. I should be going. I mean, unless you'd like some ice or a cool towel."

Steve picked up a handful of snow and winced as he placed it against his cheek. "No, we're all right. Thank you, though."

Lottie stifled a laugh while Daniel rolled his eyes.

Daniel pulled Lottie up and said, "I hear Howard Stark has something in the works, coming in the near future."

Lottie frowned. "That's news to me, but certainly unsurprising given how he hopes to shape the future. I'll keep an eye out in the papers and on the radio if I can sneak a listen. Lovely to see you gentlemen. I've got to be off."

She waved goodbye and walked away.

Steve glanced at his brother and said, "You're staring. Why don't you just tell her you like her?"

"And risk an embarrassing rejection?" Daniel shot back. "No way. Thanks for defending her honor."

"Well, she will be your future wife someday."

Daniel glared at Steve. "You're an ass; you know that?"

"You're my big brother. It's my job to annoy you."

"Come on, let's go home."

The brothers walked away, pulling their thin coats tighter to do their best to keep out the chill.