Chapter Six-Missing

(Picture of Jean) Also known as Dylan Sprayberry.
Image may be subject to copyright- Props Pinterest

************************************************************************************************

"You're late," Jane tells me casually, watching as i take my place next to her at another computer.

People are scattered all across the Library, some reading, some studying. I can see Mrs Brookes at the desk i passed as i came in, scanning her faded eyes over the large room to make sure we are all in here for 'education' purposes.

"Really?" I mock surprise, looking down at my wrist, "or are you early?"

She shakes her head, "don't you give me that, You texted me to say you'll be here shortly, and forty-five minutes later..."

Tucking my hair behind my ear, i give her a crooked smile "Yeah, i'm sorry, i was held up."

The whole drive here ive been contemplating whether or not to tell Jane what i had witnessed. Which is what exactly?

I don't know. What did happen? One minute i had gotten Lousie out of the car. She was going to be okay, i knew she was. Honestly, apart from that gross wound in her leg she seemed fine. I turned around for a second to call for help, and that was all it took. The next minute she was dead. She just stopped breathing.

Right after Lynx showed up.

I stop myself right there and watch Jane type in her school username and password to her account. Accusing someone of killing someone else is a pretty deep accusation. I can't go on Lynx being by her side when she died. I need all the facts.

What is know so far is that Louise crashed her car. I managed to pull her out and called an Ambulance. Lynx arrived and did this weird thing to her head, and then she died.

Now that i think of it, it was after school hours. What was Lynx doing there?

"So why were you so late?" Jane's voice knocks me out of my thoughts. I still havn't figured out what i should tell her.

Jane is the voice of year 12, and with us being so different i honestly don't know how we got to be friends. She's the one that actually enjoys hearing and sharing gossip, while i sit back and watch other people's business consume her. There's no harm in telling her what happened, and leaving Lynx out of it. I wouldn't want to start rumors that may or may not be true.

"So, there was this crash outside of school today."

She turns to me, face expressionless, waiting for me to push on with my story, but that's all i really planned on saying. I wasn't prepared for a follow up story.

"There are crashes all the time. Last week, Tom Naysmith got into a crash just outside Luke's house. It's a small town, Val."

I sit still, fluttering my long eyelashes and giving her a tight smile, "so, i have no idea who those people are. All crashes are different." Honestly, i felt a slight tinge of annoyance that it didn't phase her as much as it did to me. How many times has their been a crash on the street outside of school? None, thats how many. And how many times have i actually witnessed a crash? None. Nada, not in my lifetime. She shouldn't be so calm.

"What?" she asks when i sigh and lean on the desk, "as long as you weren't involved-"

I choose that moment to continue on with my story, "i was the only person around, i obviously couldnt just leave her there."

"Was the person okay?" she asks, catching the hint.

At first i shake my head, then i begin to nod, "well, she was. I turned away to call the Ambulance, and i turned back-"