Chapter 1

Nico di Angelo shivered, walking through the barren graveyard. A heavy fog covered the landscape like a blanket. The graveyard reminded him of his time with King Minos. He shook his head, trying to ignore the flooding memories that attempted to catch his attention.

Suddenly, he felt a presence within the graveyard. He turned abruptly, scanning his surroundings, putting a hand to his sword. "Who's there?" Nico called out, starting to unsheathe his sword.

Nico had been trying to find Percy Jackson. Somehow, the son of Poseidon had disappeared without a trace, without a goodbye. The last part was astonishing, especially because he didn't leave anything for Annabeth. Which meant that chances were, Percy was in trouble.

"No need to get violent," a deep accented voice called out, and a young man around the age of sixteen stepped out of the fog. He had pale-colored skin, slightly disheveled black hair, and rich brown eyes. He was wearing black jeans and a black leather jacket, with a ripped T-shirt, combat boots, and a golden chain around his neck.

"Who are you?" Nico growled, unsheathing his sword just a tiny bit more. He had a slight idea of who this boy was. The accent wasn't Greek or Roman. Sora had told Nico about him occasionally. The boy smiled faintly. "Anubis, the Egyptian god of death."

Nico gripped the hilt of his sword tightly. "What do you want?" he asked. Anubis was silent for a moment, before replying. "Your father spoke with my master. They sent me to help you. They believe it will be a way to end both our wars for the better." For the most part, Anubis seemed pretty calm talking about the end of the world. Nico lowered his sword, placing it back in its sheath. "And why would my father care about Egyptian affairs?" he asked. "And unless you know where Percy is, you're of no help to me."

Anubis' smile turned grim. "If either of us loses our war, it would mean the end of our world as we know it. You know that. When it comes to the sea spawn though..." Anubis trailed off. "I do not know of his whereabouts." Nico scowled. "Then you're of no use to me," he replied briskly, turning around to leave. Anubis caught up to him quickly, placing a firm hand on his shoulder.

"We need to work together," Anubis said, almost pleadingly. Nico turned around, eyes narrowing. "What do you propose?" he asked snarkily. Anubis sighed. "You Greeks have the worst tempers," he said disappointedly. Nico glared at him.

"I believe that it would be best if we had a... mutual agreement. Both of us are having trouble in our wars. And both of us could use some help," Anubis explained. Nico gave him a side eye, but didn't say anything. Anubis took a deep breath. "There's no easy way to say this, but... your father and my master believe it would be best if I used you as my host. With our powers combined, we could-" Nico cut him off. "What?! Why would my father agree to that?" Anubis shuffled his feet nervously on the grass, which started to wither. "You know why."

Nico gritted his teeth. "I don't want a god in my body," he replied harshly. Anubis sighed. "It will have the best outcomes for both of us," he protested. Nico frowned. He didn't want a god possessing him, but if his father truly did want him to host an Egyptian god, it might be best to obey his wishes.

He turned back toward Anubis. "Is it permanent?" Nico asked, almost fearfully. Anubis' eyes met his sadly. "Yes. For you and I, it is, because both our souls contain death in some sort." Nico bit his lip. "But doesn't a host need the blood of the pharaohs?" he asked. Anubis nodded. "You do have the blood of the pharaohs," he said, fidgeting with the hem of his jacket. "From your mother's side." Nico felt his heart thump faster.

"How?" he breathed. Anubis sighed. Nico wanted to slap him for sighing all the time. No one needed to sigh so much. "Your mother's ancestors were from Egypt. She is descended from one of the pharaohs. What more can I say than that?" Nico glared at him, but nodded. "Fine. You can use me as your host," he relented, hoping he wasn't making a mistake. Anubis smiled slightly, making Nico's heart fill with dread. He handed Nico a thin silver chain necklace with a jackal pendant hanging from one of the links. "Don't ever take it off," Anubis warned.

"Does Sora know?" Nico asked. Anubis shook his head. "No. She will know soon enough."

Before Nico could say anything else, a bright light appeared where Anubis was standing, and Nico closed his eyes tightly so as to not become blinded. Then suddenly, the light disappeared. Nico opened his eyes. Then he felt a surge of energy, of an ancient power he couldn't identify. He took a deep breath.

It worked, Anubis' accented voice spoke inside his mind. For a second, Nico panicked. This is how we'll win both our wars, Anubis said reassuringly. Nico nodded slowly in understanding.

Are you able to read my thoughts? T- take me over? Possess me? Nico asked hesitantly. Anubis didn't say anything for a second. Then he replied softly, I can read your thoughts. And I can take you over at some times, but I promise I won't unless we are in grave danger.

Nico gritted his teeth. He didn't like the idea of a god being able to see and know and feel his every move and thought. It's for everyone's own good, he tried convincing himself. He heard a short bark of laughter in his head. It is, Anubis agreed. Nico scowled.

Can we find Percy now? Nico asked.

We can't yet, Anubis answered. He isn't ready to be found. In the meanwhile, it would be best if we met the Egyptian magicians.

Nico felt a small surge of longing inside him. He fought against the feeling.

Alright, fine.