Chapter 4

"You know him, don't you," Hazel said the moment they sat on the roof of Pluto's shrine. The roof was littered with bones and diamonds, the gems thanks to Hazel.

Nico swung his feet on the edge. You look like a little kid when you do that, Anubis pointed out unhelpfully. If Nico could glare at him, he would have. Shut up.

How many times are you going to tell me that? It's getting quite old, Anubis replied. Nico ignored him. "Hazel... I- I can't say. Important things are at work here. Some things need to stay secret."

She sighed. "Is- can we trust him? Is he dangerous?" Nico nodded. "He's very, very dangerous. But only to his enemies. He's a good guy. You can trust him." Hazel seemed to ponder that for a moment. Nico continued, lightly holding her hand. "I- I'm going to try to find the Doors of Death. It's the only way to stop the monster from being revived instantly." Hazel shot him a concerned look. "Ar- are you sure?"

Nico nodded.

A horn sounded in the distance.

"I have a feeling tonight's war games are going to be interesting," Nico noted.

Hazel waved goodbye, leaving him with Sora. Before he knew it, Sora had grabbed him by the collar of his jacket, her hazel brown eyes staring straight into his.

"Anubis, why are you using Nico as your host?" she asked sternly. Anubis took the reins, replying easily, "How'd you know?"

She scowled. "Your voice gave you away easily, with that accent. I can speak every language and accent in the world."

Nico sighed. "Are you mad at me?" he asked in a small voice. Sora shook her head, clasping his hands in hers. "No. I'm just... it's going to mess up with the Fates. Things will be more complicated. But it's not that bad of a compromise. I just... I don't know how Greeks and Egyptians and Romans will mix." She rubbed her temples. "I'll need to study the scrolls," she mumbled.

Nico nodded. "Will you be joining the war games?" he asked. She shook her head. "No. I'll watch. I need to think anyway." She left him sitting on the roof.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Basically, imagine everything that happened in Son of Poseidon, such as the Senate, and that's the whole skip.

Are you sure about this? Anubis asked him. Finding the Doors of Death... if you go too far into the Underworld, I won't be able to speak with you or lend you any of my power.

Nico looked at his hands dismally. I have to, Nico told him. We can't win this war if the monsters regenerate as soon as they die. He clenched his fists, his knuckles turning white. He wandered through the Fields of Asphodel, doing his best to avoid the dead.

Before he knew it, a peculiar feeling spread over him, as if a wind was blowing him toward the edge of a cliff. It was like he was being sucked into a black hole.

Nico? Nico! Anubis yelled in his head, but Nico couldn't focus enough to reply. He collapsed to his knees, grasping the dirt, trying to crawl away. Nico felt himself being tugged further and further back, his eyes wide with fear. Then complete darkness, and the feeling of falling.

The feeling of falling... Nico thought after a couple seconds. Legends always said that falling down into Tartarus would take 9 days. Anubis? Nico thought in his head. He felt a small shudder in his mind, but nothing else. Anubis! He yelled. Now you don't answer?!

He recalled Anubis' statement from before. '...if you go too far into the Underworld, I won't be able to speak with you or lend you any of my power.' Nico supposed it wasn't his fault. Not really.