Chapter 26

Jacki looked around the empty bedroom. So much had changed in her life and now there would be more changes. She picked up her bag and silently said goodbye to the room where she had fallen in love with Brian Quinn. She closed the door behind her and walked down the hall to the bathroom. She double checked the drawers to make sure she wasn't leaving anything behind. She let her gaze wander to the shower. Many of my favorite memories had happened in that shower.

A tear fell down Jacki's cheek and she quickly brushed it away. There was no time for tears. She would have plenty of time for those later. She finally headed downstairs and continued to make sure the house was completely empty. It seemed odd to her that a building would mean so much to her. She finally let herself out the front door and took one last look at the house.

"Goodbye, house," she said in a whisper.

She got in an Uber and was soon on her way. The drive wasn't very long and soon she was outside of her destination. She headed inside and found her way to a room with a view, overlooking a garden. She set her bag down and began to unpack and place her makeup and curling iron on a nearby vanity. She pulled her hair back and began curling her hair, checking the time once in a while. When her hair was done she began her makeup.

There was a knock at the door when Jacki was nearly finished.

"Hey, Jacki!"

Jacki hugged the woman that came in the room and then sat back down to finish her task.

"So are you ready?"

"I think so. I mean, the house is empty and I brought my bag with me. I just can't believe its all happening like this."

"Honey, I know this isn't what you planned. But you're gonna be okay."

Jacki put her mascara down and turned her head.

"I know. I'm just scared. Am I doing the right thing?"

"Do you think you're doing the right thing?"

"Come on, Mom, that's not fair. I've had to leave so many people behind. This is permanent. Are you going to be okay with that?"

Jacki saw a smile creep up her mothers face.

"Of course I am. I was okay when you made other choices, wasn't I?"

Jacki made a face.

"Okay, so maybe it took some time for me to come around. But you went to New York, then to California, back to New York, and now-"

"No! I'm not telling you where I'm going tomorrow. I just want to enjoy today."

A few minutes later, Jacki finished her makeup and began to change her clothes. She folded her t-shirt and jeans and put on the satin jumpsuit that her mom had brought in. Jacki had never been one for overly fancy things so the jumpsuit was a compromise. Jacki took one last look at her phone. It was time.

Jacki and her mom headed outside where a large group was gathered. Jacki spotted a pair ridiculously huge flowers that she did not approve of, but she guessed that her mother had something to do with them. When Jacki and her mom got to the last row of people they stopped. Her mom went ahead of her and sat down in the front. Jacki nodded and music began to play.

Jacki smiled as she walked, she couldn't tear her eyes away from the one person she wanted to see the most- Brian. He stood at the end of the aisle with a big smile, and possibly tears. Beside Brian was Sal, who was also smiling. When Jacki got to Brian he grabbed her hands.

"So today we are here to celebrate the union of Brian and Jacki. Now most of you know that there is absolutely something special about the relationship these two have. And, as one of Brian's best friends, I have to say- he's a new man. Jacki brings out this part of him that is more kind and gentle than he usually ever shows."

Sal spoke for a few more minutes and then began the vows. Jacki let Brian put a plain gold band on her left hand and then she moved the solitaire, princess cut diamond ring from her right hand to her left. The pair of gold bands were exactly what she had wanted and Brian had picked them well. He had told her that they were like her- beautiful, uncomplicated, and classic.

Jacki pulled Brian's white gold ring from the pocket of her jumpsuit. She knew he would want something traditional. She hadn't let him see it until that moment, either.

Once the vows and rings were exchanged, Sal gave his blessing and the couple kissed. Their friends and families cheered. Jacki let Brian continue to kiss her while holding a hand to her neck. When he finally let go he pulled her head to his.

"I love you, Jacki."

"I love you, Brian."