29. Unmasked

V

A week had passed since War sensei, Sai and me had made it out of the academy. When I think about the thing that had happened to War sensei from my past, the more I realized how difficult it was for him when there is no one to accompany him when he's at his lowest point. Making it outside the academy was a little more easier compared to trying to live outside.

"Damn it! When will the academy stop sending people after us? Ugh." Sai groaned as his back hit the hard and moldy wall of a downtown alley from where we hid ourselves. The two of us had went out from our hideout to buy some food to sustain us three for the next two days. We left War sensei thinking it wouldn't be a good idea to expose him to an enviroment that could trigger his mood swings. He could have dealt with these people too easily using his newly acquired fallen. These people who just showed up from the middle of the street when Sai and I finished our shopping.

When Sai regained consciousness, War sensei had somehow reverted back to his normal self and had offered to return Sai's fallen back to him. Sai had rejected this at first cursing his fallen to be so useless that even the person he considered his lover called him weak. Sai was disheartened by Nat's betrayal but was also thankful that we took him with us as we left that place he continuously calls as his hell.

War sensei had somehow symphatized with Sai and offered him a proposal he wasn't able to reject. War sensei had told Sai that he'd implant a fallen inside his body in return for letting him have half of Sai's amplifying fallen. I never saw Sai as delighted as that after that conversation he had with sensei. I saw a glimmer of excitement in those eyes of his. But he has to wait as all the fallen crystals that were acquired by sensei weren't all compatible to Sai's body. Nat's fallen was the only one but he refuses it. So he has to deal with half of his fallen for now.

"Hey V guy. You have the teleporting crystal right? Let me boost it's power so that we can get out of here." That is right. I borrowed the fallen crystal of teleportation from War sensei believeing it would come in handy for Sai and me but it's power isn't enough for the two of us to disapparate and apparate back to our hiding place. This is where Sai's fallen comes in handy.

I handed him the light pink crystal that immediately glowed as soon as it touches his palm.

"Alright. Come now mute man." He offered his hand to me and just made it to disapparate when two of the masked figures who were following us appeared at the end of the alley shouting at us. There was a vacuum feeling and the next thing I saw is War sensei's back at the balcony of an abandoned building we temporarily resides.

The whole floor had been casted with the barrier fallen that we might consider it as safe for the mean time. This won't take too long though because we often changed our hideouts every two days to prevent the academy from noticing the barrier casted around the premises.

"War sensei, we are are here. Could you imagine what had happened to us? Those academy dogs are really something!" Sai began to tell War about our encounter with our pursuers while I started to prepare the ingredients for my soup. Sai continued to talk but it seems that War sensei wasn't listening to him. He is still looking out the city below us. He had been like this ever since the first day. He would only talk if he needed to discuss something. Most of the time he contemplated with himself and I had caught him a few times staring blankly on the dirty walls of the building, talking to someone invisible.

He is suffering inside. I know he is hurting deep within but I also know that he's not gonna show this to us. The wound on  his stomach that was mainly caused by...my younger self had almost healed, thanks to the healing elixer I have with me. But there are a few times I saw him squeezing that area where the younger me had stabbed. I know he was remembering how he had been betrayed by the person he trusted with his heart, with his everything. The person who was so foolish not to realize sooner enough his own feelings and ended almost killing his soulmate. I could have killed my younger self back then. I already hated the me before who made War sensei the way he is in the future where I came from, but the 20 year old me in this timeline was even worst. I stabbed him in this time verse! How did that even happen? What's wrong inside the mind of this younger self that he'd go to the extend of harming War physically?