~12~

Why?!"

"Because I have-"

"Oh, stop it already with the protecting thing!" Sakura shouted, throwing her hands in the air out of exasperation. "I don't want your help nor do I need it! Why don't you help someone who needs it?!"

Gaara's expression did not change. "I did not choose you, Madara did."

Sakura's eyebrows furrowed. "Who is he and why did he choose me?"

"I do not know."

Sakura was becoming frustrated. "What do I have to do to get rid of you?! Turn you into my village? Of course, they'll all think I'm a lunatic saying that a One has been following me around."

Gaara did not answer. His expression was answer enough. She would regret making that a decision. Sakura didn't doubt that if she made him mad enough, he would kill her. What a hassle. Sakura racked her brain for another option. He had made a horrible first impression so friendship seemed impossible. Maybe she should play nice for now, but he claimed his time to "protect her" was five years....

Sakura sighed and ran her fingers through her pink hair that now had a purple hue with the lack of light. Perhaps getting to know a celestial type being could prove interesting. She gazed up at Gaara, who had turned and cast her an inquisitive look. His arms were at his side instead of being crossed over his chest.

"Why don't we start over if you're not planning on leaving me alone?"

"What do you mean?"

"Let's get along."

Gaara's expression clouded. "You mean become friends?"

Sakura thought for a moment before speaking. "Yes, like friends. You like to piss me off so let's at least try for acquaintances first."

Her words shocked Gaara. No one ever wanted to be his friend besides Naruto. That thought brought the pain in his chest back. He wanted to confront Naruto, but he didn't seem like himself. Something was off. He'd spent all night pacing about it. Naruto was affectionate and sometimes goofy, but not to this extent. His eyes held an innocence that seemed uncharacteristic of him, like none of the events of their past happened. He returned his gaze to Sakura and realized she was the key to the answers he sought. The One of Spite came to him and said Madara did not want him to approach Naruto. He tied Gaara's hands while his mind died for answers, for closure. This woman was the most irritating yet brave mortal he had ever met, and he longed for some companionship after spending so much time isolated and alone.

"Alright."

Sakura gave him a smile. "Good and you can call me by my name. I notice you never say it."

That was true. Gaara had always been very impersonal with his previous humans. If he did not get involved with them, he would not get attached... or kill them.

"I will, Sakura Haruno."

Sakura stomach growled. "I'm going home to eat. Would you like something?"

"Immortals do not require sustenance."

Sakura huffed. "That's not what I asked. You can still eat though, can't you? If I remember right, you guys just don't get hungry."

She was right and the smug grin plastered on her face proved her awareness. It wouldn't hurt. Gaara had to admit that he was having a hard time transitioning from her usual abusive attitude. It was throwing him off.

"You are a strange human."

"How so?" Sakura's face showed she was interested in an answer.

Gaara remained silent, unsure of how to express his thoughts.

Instead, he turned his back to her and said, "Let's go."

He evaporated into sand and disappeared. Sakura rolled her eyes at his way of avoiding her question. It looked like he wanted to speak, but he stopped. Sakura followed suit and headed towards her house. She entered and searched for his chakra; he was already in the kitchen. Sakura removed her shoes and padded down the wooden floors of her small house to the kitchen. Gaara surprised her by lining up spices on the counter. He had the salmon she bought earlier laid on the counter, the oven preheating, a bag of white rice on the counter, and mixed vegetables already rinsed sitting in the sink.

Gaara looked over his shoulder. "Where are your knives?"

She pointed at the small drawer to the right of her oven. He walked over and rummaged through the drawer before settling on the knife he wanted to use. Gaara placed it on the counter next to the salmon and reached for the seasoning, placing an even amount on each side of the six pieces of fish. He looked around the kitchen again for a pan and placed the fish into it. Gaara glanced over his shoulder.

"Are you going to just stand there?"

Sakura sucked in her cheeks. "I thought you didn't have to eat!"

"That does not mean I can't enjoy cooking."

Sakura wanted to smack him for being such a smart ass. She growled and stomped towards the vegetables that were still sitting in the sink. Sakura picked up the knife and grabbed a green pepper. She chopped it all the while mumbling under her breath about what a jerk Gaara was. He ignored her, just like she knew he would.

Soon the salmon was baking in the oven, the rice boiling on the stove, and the vegetables sautéing in a pan. The smells that were wafting from the stove and oven were enough to make her stomach sound like it was trying to eat its way out of her body. Her eyes kept turning to look at the clock, wishing the time to pass faster. She even bounced on the balls of her feet with impatience.

"This sucks," she said, moving to flop down in a chair before standing back up again and pacing the kitchen floor.

Humor danced in Gaara's eyes. Sakura frowned at him and moved to stand in front of him. "Is something amusing?"

"You."

Sakura poked him in the chest. "Hey don't make fun of me."

Gaara caught her hand and held it to his chest. Sakura's heart sped up. She couldn't help gazing into those unique eyes of his again for a second before pulling away, hoping he didn't see the red tinge her face had developed.

"What are you doing?!" she exclaimed without turning to look at him.

"I don't like being touched."

Sakura sucked her teeth. "Shut up Gaara."

After their delicious meal, to Sakura's surprise concluded, Gaara left. No goodbye or anything. Sakura huffed in annoyance. He was not a people person. Sakura rubbed her full stomach, got up, and cleaned the kitchen. Once it was spotless, she headed to her room to get some well-deserved rest. The red-haired menace plagued her mind until the moment she fell asleep.