S1, Ep. 4 - Romeo and Juliet Without Romeo Part 2

It was the next day as I was in the auditorium just reading over the lines. "I see someone's thoughts on it.." I turned and saw Eli. "Yeah I guess I did after a lot of convincing from you." We laughed, "Okay my thespians..we have our Juliet and now looking out for our fair Romeo..", "What about the understudies Ms. Janeth?" She looked at Eli as I looked around the room. "Hm. Seems like there's already a winner for Juliet.." I noticed I was the only other girl in here besides Ms. Janeth.

"Congratulations Josephine..you're the understudy for Claire Nunez." I nodded, "I'd be honored.." that was way too easy. "Now..for Romeo we have two candidates..Elijah Pepperjack and Steve Palchuk..who wants to go first?" As the auditions went on and on, after Eli went Steve had gone but had been staring at me while reciting his lines. It was kind of awkward. "Thank you Steve..and that should be a-", "I want to try out..for Romeo.."

I looked and saw it was James' head, "Oh boy.." I said as Eli looked at me, "What's wrong with Jim?", "He is just gonna wing it.." Eli nodded, "Oh.." as he didn't walk directly to the center of the stage, Ms. Janeth looked at him. "Name..", "James Lake Jr.." she looked at me, "So both Lakes are here in a whole..seems like a winning spree in the role.", "Not the time for a fractions Mr. Palchuk..but good use in rhyming." She then saw he wasn't in the middle.

I rolled my eyes, "What scene will you be doing for us today Mr. Lake..", "Scene.." as I figured it. "Umm..I actually created my own.." Yep. Classic James. "Okay..you may begin once you're in the center of the stage." he didn't look too happy when she said center stage. "You sure I can't do it behind the curtain.." she shook her head no, "We don't have all day Mr. Lake.." he sighed as I got up and went to him. As I went to him, I pulled him back behind the curtain as Tobes went to sit in the audience like Claire as I looked at him and he was all in a silver type armour. "What are you wearing?!" I whispered, "A Costume.." he whispered back, "Don't tell me you're winging it..", "I am.." I rolled my eyes.

"If you're trying to impress Clarie..winging it never works.." he stared at me, "Watch me.." he walked out and grabbed the sword from the costume. I watched him from behind the curtain. "We are all ears.." he breathed out, "Destiny. Destiny is a gift. Some go their entire lives living existences in quiet desperation, never learning the truth that what feels as though a burden pushing down upon our shoulders is actually a sense of purpose that lifts us to greater heights! Never forget that fear is but the precursor to valor! That to strive and triumph in the face of fear, is what it means to be a hero! Don't think, become!" people applauded and Claire came up and started to flirt with him. He looked at me, "See. Winging it always works."

Claire looked at me, "You must be Josephine..I've heard so much about.." she shook my hand, "Nice to meet you too.." moments later in the day I was on the couch with James and studying lines. "Umm.what's my line again?" I am still surprised that he got the role after just winging it. "Okay, let's take it from 'Wherefore art..'" he nodded as he was saying his lines. I looked weird at him. "What?", "You okay Jim? You're normally great at remembering things."

"Oh. Yeah, I'm fine. Totally fine.." he laughed nervously, "How are my fellow thespians doing.." Mom walked in, "Doing great!", "Liar.." I mumbled as he hit my side, "Shut up.." I rolled my eyes, "I'm getting water.." I stood up and left as it was just him and mom. As I was getting water, I saw something in the distance. I couldn't make out what it was. I rubbed my eyes and it was gone. I walked back in as mom was still talking. "And so do you eventually..you're the more memory keeper in the two of you..she has the creative and you have the memories.." he smiled.

"Thanks mom..", "No problem James.." They hugged as I came back. "So where were we?" We continued for a while and then his phone rang. He answered it and it sounded like Toby and another unidentified voice. "Where are you off to?" I asked as he was near the door, "Tobes house..he really wants to play Go! Go! Sushi!, okay! Yeah! Alright I'll see you at play practice!" Something was off. Play pratice wasn't till tomorrow, was he planning on having a sleepover? I shrugged off my thoughts and stood up as well.

"Can I join?", "It's just a boys thing..sorry Josie...maybe next time?" , "You say that every time.." he looked at me, "Not every time..", "Liar.." he sighed and looked me in the eyes. "How about we make sundaes like old times.." Sundaes were the last thing I did with dad before his disappearance act, my eyes started to water up. "Dad used to say that to me before he left work and that one night he promised me that he would leave.." he then went on his phone and dialed a number "Jimbo, where are you dude?!" It was Tobes.

"Hanging out with Josie..Go! Go! Sushi can wait until after play practice.." Before he hung up, I heard Tobes yell his name. "I'll talk more later, Tobes.." he hung up, "How about we sketch instead of doing a sundae.." I looked at him. "I'll even draw my famous stick figure.." I laughed as that's all he could draw, "Ok.." I said as he smiled .

As we were drawing it felt like old times but mom and dad used to fight, and James  would somehow try the same Stick Figure over and over again as I drew whatever came to mind. On my mind now was the figure from outside. It looked about stone but also with horns and things like vampires. Though it was in daylight and vampires usually burn to a crisp from the sun rays. "Jim. Have you seen anything on usual lately in Acadia Oaks?"  He looked at me weird and just started laughing and saying it was nonsense. Nothing weird goes on in Acadia Oaks. Yet the sound of his voice it sounded like he was lying once again toward me but I didn't wanna call him out. He then asked me what I was drawing and I showed him and he grabbed it and ripped it in pieces and told me he was sorry he overreacted. Something about the creature I drew reminded him of something I don't know if it's dad or something he knew he couldn't tell me but I know I'll figure it out. "What was that all about?", "Nothing..just nothing.." he laughed nervously.