Emotinal Malfunction

It was another crisp, early morning within the Grand River University, a University that houses students of wealth, fame, and political power.

Kana, the kingdom's princess, has been more aggressive and, as of late, has had a shorter fuse than usual. Since she is the princess and has to maintain an image, her style consists of top designer outfits and extravagant dresses, with the odd baggy t-shirt and pair of workout pants for comfort. The princess is five-foot-ten inches, with long flowing, wavy red hair which reaches her shoulder blades. Wearing a simple white t-shirt and white pants, she slides on her brand new white and black kimono with a red sash around the waist and pink flowers neatly spaced around the collar and cuffs. She grabs her bag from her luxury dorm and begins walking down the hall, stopping at dorm number '109', Kasumi Niijima's room: Master marks-women, daughter of the wealthiest trading family, and Kana's best friend. Kana knocks on her door and enters before Kasumi can answer. "You heard?" Her regular regal tone is more aggressive than usual.

Kasumi does not even look up from her phone to answer. "Just because you are the princess does not mean you can barge into my room, you know..."

Kasumi has a signature style; that style is black, dark, and gloomy. Her regular clothes consist of dark sleeveless red turtlenecks, a sleeveless, long flowing, darker red jacket with a white line around the cuffs, and a pair of black pants and pumps to match. If she is not wearing her turtlenecks, she will more than likely be wearing a robe. Her long black hair is regularly tied and styled in a side ponytail. She is known for her sarcastic and monotone nature, putting most people off from talking to her for an extended period, but deep down, she is a big sensitive softy. Standing at a gigantic six foot five inch, she is easily the tallest person in the university, staff included.

Kana burns a hole through Kasumi and ignores her statement. "You are the 'Social butterfly'. You should have heard, have you?"

"Sure. Alexis has returned. Big deal." Her monotone answer to Kana's question enrages her further.

"Big deal? It should be! She left us both without warning! It should be a big deal!"

Kasumi sighs and stands up, looking at Kana with her eyes that look blacker than the night itself. She flings her bag over her shoulder and grabs a flask of tea in one fluid movement; It was too early for Kasumi to deal with Kana's attitude.

They both make their way down the dorm corridor to the entrance, through the university grounds, and finally into the main university building.

"Why is everyone going into the hall? Do they have a meeting?" Kana asks Kasumi as they make their way down the main corridor.

"We all do. New students." Kasumi responds.

"Now? It's the last week? Why now?" Kana asks, sighing slightly.

"Beats me." Kasumi shrugs and then makes her way to the hall, Kana walking close behind her, complaining every step of the way.

They find a seat towards the back of the large hall and wait for it to fill up with the remaining students, roughly three hundred.

The headmaster enters after the hall is full and stands at the front. The headmaster is a rather plump fellow in his late thirties, with round glasses and a bushy handlebar moustache that hides his face almost entirely.

"Good morning, students." He bellows loudly, placing his hands on his rotund stomach.

He is answered by a scattered murmur of voices, half of which sound half asleep still.

Kana and Kasumi both sigh and zone out, each dreaming of being anywhere but here. The only natural lighting in the hall is the little windows on the roof and the little window in the door, making the hall appear duller than it truly is.