•𝗖𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝗢𝗻𝗲•

Chapter One, sink down, rise up.

✯✯✯✯✯

It's a busy morning. Stern faces with narrowed eyebrows; a man looking down to his watch with a head of greying hair, a woman with a confused face and bright rosy cheeks with lips as red as the biggest pop star. Everyone here knew where they were heading to, with their suitcase wheeling behind them like a dog on a leash. The woman with the lips pursed them, held her bright pink phone to her ear and spoke, her fake white smile gleaming. She spoke with every line perfectly, perfectly scripted for this moment. Behind those patient eyes were her true self. A stressed woman with no time to complete a phone call to her sister to help her with the unplanned baby shower, no time to cook a full meal for her kids and husband, no time for any fake white smiles and smudgy red lips. With the last fleck of spit that flew from her mouth, she let out a groan, a flip of her bleach blonde hair and she strutted away with those clip-clopping heels she wore, again, having no time to even slip them on her worn feet.
She strutted away, suitcase behind, purse in hand, teeth and jaws clenched. The smile was put to rest, then it showed again and took its turn on stage when she faced the next person she had no time to chatter on about.
These people were all the same, showing off the colours they wished to be. Juliet knew that that's how the world was run. You would never know anyone's true secret, never dip into someone else's head.

The seats were filled. Fake, fake and every fake person after that with each a fake smile of their own.
The sign for 'London' shadowed overhead. That was her ticket away. Only a few steps away from true freedom.
Only a few steps away from the real world.

✯✯✯✯✯

"Excuse me." The man in front of me was a tall one, his suite creasing on the back and his collar digging into his rimmed neck. He was also wide as well as tall. Blocking my path.

"Excuse me." I repeated, my voice unintentionally louder than before. He took notice and shifted to the left to let me pass, bowing his head slowly and letting his mouth perform a smile, before I was stopped by another wide and tall man and his overly large suitcase. He took notice of me, but never moved, only waving his hand impatiently to the back of his head. At least the man before was polite.

I huffed, sliding beside him with my skirt intentionally brushing against his tattered suite that never compared to the man before. People can be so different.

I sighed, slouching down in the seat outside the boarding gates. 'This is a new life' I kept telling myself, 'a new start', I just didn't know what to expect. I've done this before when it was just me and my mom. But it wasn't the same.

"You never know Jules, this could be good." The sound of my own voice even overwhelmed me. A ball of anxiety shoved itself down to my throat. Unfortunately for me, I couldn't swat it away.