•𝗖𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝟵•

Chapter nine, the beginning of the end

✯✯✯✯✯

"My parents are dead." I spoke softly towards Jack as we sat in a pair overlooking the forest. It was night and the fire was just about to eject it's last glow  before Jack had gone to poke at it, sending the logs to engulf each other and creating an ever glow upon our faces. It wasn't such a cold night that I ever needed my jacket, but it was so that that last sentence gave goosebumps as though it was a cold winter one.

"Dead?" Jack asks, settling my head upon his lap so my eyes view the stars.

I swallow, preparing to speak my next words.
"I killed them." My eyes settle upon the fire light. I feel Jacks hairs stand up on his arms but no flinching took part, he took it rather well.

The night I killed Alexis and mother plays upon my mind once again, like a plague as it has done so many nights ago. I thought I'd banished the trauma and memory, but obviously not.

"I had a step dad. So don't feel bad for that one I killed."
He nods and gulps.

"My mother was different." A slow tear escapes my eye.

"How so?" He asks, bringing his arm up upon my shoulder briskly.

"She was like me. In every way really. We look alike, think alike.." Another tear bleeds down my cheek as my fingers find and wipe it away.

"She had my name. Well, I had hers but my biological fathers last name wasn't mine. He left me when I was a baby."

"Oh. Im sorry Juliet." Why was Jack being so sensitive to this? Calling me by my real name and being so.. well spoken and empathetic. I thought he'd hate me or at least avoid me at all costs once I told him all this. But no.

"Don't be. I never like to admit it but I never felt sorry for ending their lives." The crying stops. I think about the night I killed Alexis and diminished his devilish, cruel soul. I also think about how I was smiling when I did it.

"Enough about me. I wanna know more about you mr merridew." I sit up and place my chin on my knees, closing the body heat with my arms.

"Well, I told you my dad was strict and all. So.. what would you like to know?"

"Absolutely everything." I giggle.

He breathes exhaustedly, seemingly a little tired after what yesterday had brought. Yesterday Jack went hunting as usual and as usual brought no pig back, as he does every day, so he tried again and again and didn't stop until he wore himself out. A little silly really, but who can stop him.