III

WILLIAM.P.O.V.

ME: "By the way, what's your name?"

XXX: "My job doesn't allow me to say my real name."

ME: "What in God's name could I use your identity for?"

XXX: "You can never trust people you don't know."

ME: "Well, now you know me."

XXX: "No. I know your name and your brother. I don't know you."

ME: "As you wish ... At least I know you're from Russia."

XXX: "It's not hard to conclude."

ME: "Aren't you cold in that jacket?"

XXX: "No. Winters here are not like the winters in Russia."

ME: "I have no doubt...Also,You're not going to walk me home, are you?"

XXX: "Do you realize that my job is to follow you 24 hours? It doesn't matter where you are. If you travel to Japan, I would have to follow you. Any unfinished business is punished, William."

ME: "You haven't waited in front of the store all day, have you?"

XXX: "No. I have had another job."

I wanted to say something, even if I knew the Russian would barely answer anything I asked him ... but something interrupted me.

My phone rang and as soon as I saw the number, I knew what had happened. It was Olivia. A middle-aged woman who lived in the house next to mine and volunteered to occasionally look after my mother while I was gone, because it was necessary. My mother is constantly silent, but that does not mean that her thoughts are empty. She is constantly planning something and it always ends with her suicide attempt. Cutting veins, pills ... There is always something.

ME: "I have to go."

I step away from him a little and answer.

ME: "Is everything okay?"

OLIVIA: "Come home now. I can't wake up your mother. Maybe she took the pills again."

ME: "I'm coming. Call an ambulance."

OLIVIA: "I called them. They're on their way."

ME: "I'll be there in a minute."

I finish the call and when I speed up, someone grabs my elbow. I turn around and realize it's a blue-eyed Russian. He was extremely close and I had a better look at his pretty face. I felt weird when his hand landed on mine.Good strange.

I don't know why he suddenly comes this close?It's too close for straight people...If he's straight.

XXX: "What's going on? Is that Robert?"

ME: "It has nothing to do with Robert. I'm in a hurry now."

XXX: "I asked what was going on."

ME: "My mother is not well. Please let me go."

XXX: "Do you need help?"

Me:"No."

I started running as fast as I could home, and for some reason that Russian ran after me all the time.

As soon as I got home, I saw an ambulance in front. I quickly ran into the house. I met Olivia in the hallway.

ME: "Is she alive?"

OLIVIA: "I guess she is, but it's extremely critical."

ME: "Shit."

OLIVIA: "The pills are in question. I don't know where Tylenol and some muscle relaxant pills came from. They found a pile of a box, but they didn't have time to count how much she took."

ME: "I know where her pills came from."

Robert. Only he can bring her so many pills. She has no money to buy them, nor does she leave the house to buy them. He was here. Robert was here.

I entered the room where she had spent  more than a year right now.She was unconscious and three doctors were around her. They immediately put her in the ambulance car and said that I could not go inside because there was not enough space.

ME: "Shit. Shit."

These are the moments in life when I would do the same as my mother.

XXX: "Is your mother okay?"

ME: "No. Of course not. Maybe she'll die."

I said in one breath as I asked for the number of taxis.

XXX: "I'll take you to the hospital. There's my car."

ME: "I would be really grateful."

I accept the same seconds, because now my own pride was in the last place.

XXX: "They're over here."

He nodded for me to follow him and we came to a black bmw that was close to my house. I sat in the passenger seat and he started the car for a second.

XXX: "Is your mother sick?"

ME: "Yes."

XXX: "Is it serious?"

ME: "That's what they say...Depression. She took a bunch of pills."

XXX: "That's fucked up."

ME: "Yes...This happens all the time. Almost every week."

XXX: "Really? Why then..."

ME: "Listen, Robert was here."

XXX: "Excuse me? When?"

ME: "I have no idea. He gave her pills. Probably today."

He cursed something in Russian that I didn't understand and I saw that he was annoyed.

XXX: "We'll find him. In that case, he's nearly. My friend is waiting for us in front of the hospital and he will pick up your phone to locate Robert."

I nodded and sighed.

XXX: "Otherwise...Nikita Volkov."

ME: "Didn't you say you can't say your real name?"

XXX: "Now it's your turn."

ME: "You know my name."

XXX: "Never mind."

ME: "Fine...William Miller."

He smiled as he drove. It was the first time he had laughed. He looked...nice. So, Nikita. An unusual name..

He often turned his gaze to me and would look me in the eye. He was attractive, so I would look at him too. But still, I didn't think about it that much. I had bigger worries.