Chapter 1

Tobias' POV

It's been a week since she died...

A week since I watched the only person I love fall victim to the Chasm...

A week since my bride to be looked me in the eye as she fell to her death...

I find myself asking questions that always start the same...

What if I had saved her?

What if she came with me instead of Eric that night?

What if I was in her place?

What if I had arrived a few minutes earlier?

But they are all just 'what if?'s. Nothing can or will change the fact that she is dead.

Everyday I sit by the door and wait for her to come home but she never does...

They haven't even found their bodies. I can't even say one final good bye to her.

I have an old answer phone message that she left me once that is currently playing on repeat. "Hey Tobias! Christina is holding me hostage until I help her finish decorating the apartment... I'll be home by ten and grab a cake on my way. See you soon, I love you, bye." Her voice plays on repeat through the apartment, I have listened to it so many times that I could repeat it to you backwards.

I mouth along to her words whilst I lay stretched out flat on my back on our bed. I have cried so much this last week that I swear all my tear ducts have dried out. The recording starts up again but just as she is about to speak, someone starts to knock on my door.

"Who are you and what do you want?" I try to shout but my throat is sore.

"Four, buddy it's me... Zeke."

"Go away Zeke, I don't want to talk to you." I shout back at him, meaning every word that I say.

"Tough." He says and I hear the door unlock. Why did I give him a key? "Apparently you don't want to talk to anyone since you haven't left this apartment for a whole week." I see him walk in to the bedroom and I roll over on to my stomach and face away from him.

"I'm not a girl Zeke, I don't have to talk about my feelings and all that crap with anyone if I don't want to." I mumble refusing to look at him.

"Four it's been a week! Not even Tris was this bad when her brother died!" That does it... I quickly sit up and lob the bed side lamp at his head. Unfortunately he ducks and it smashes into the wall behind him. "Look at you, you're growing a beard! When was the last time you even washed?!" He shouts and wrinkles his nose in disgust.

"Yesterday actually." I retort and flop back on the bed.

"This isn't healthy Four." He starts to talk again and his voice feels like daggers in my head. "How many times have you listened to that stupid recording in the past week? Tris wouldn't of wanted to see you like this. You are going to shave, shower and eat before coming over to my house for another game of Candor or Dauntless. No 'if', no 'but', no 'i don't wat to'. You are going to stop being such a drama queen and get over her now." If this comment pisses me off then the next thing he does makes me see red. Zeke strolls over to my phone and deletes the answer phone message.

"No! What the hell did you do?! That is the last thing I have of her voice!" I snatch the phone from his hands and try franticly to get it back but nothing works and I break down sobbing.

"Exactly my point Four, this is not healthy. Now do as I said and get ready."

It's like I am unable to reply... Zeke hands me clothes and shoves me into the bathroom. As if by magic, I find myself showered and changed as Zeke gets to work on the scratchy stubble on my face. "Ouch, careful." I scold as he nicks my jaw with the blade.

"If you are gonna be so fussy then do it yourself." He snaps and I swear places another cut on my chin intentionally. "There, done. Wait eww no, go brush your teeth, your breath smells like vodka." He says and throws my toothbrush at my chest, quickly followed by toothpaste.

I slide on some shoes as he ushers me out of the apartment and shoves me down the hall in the direction of his own. Ass we pass the Pit I can see where the bridge across the Chasm is missing. They haven't had time to replace it so our usual shortcut is out of use.

We arrive at his place and everyone from the previous game is already there, minus Eric and Tris. "Hey Four." Christina greets from where she is sat on the floor. I reply with a blank stare before taking my seat between Zeke and Lynn in the circle.

Tris' POV (I would never actually kill Tris)

"Hello Beatrice, should we see what my pathetic son is doing today?" Marcus says as he enters the small, dark room that he has been storing me in. He turns on the projector and an image of Tobias appears just like it always does, but this time Zeke is there too.I watch as he lobs a lamp at Zeke's head before breaking down into tears. It kills me to think that I did this to him.

"Please, just turn it off." I beg as Marcus places a small bowl of cold soup in front of me. It's been the same routine for the past week; greeting, Tobias, soup, belt.

"I don't know..." He trails off and walks over to Eric's corpse. For some sick and twisted reason he sat the corpse up in a chair and leaves the eyes open. Can this man not even let the dead be at rest? "Eric, do you want to watch the movie?" He asks and moves Erics head so his eyes face my own. "But Mr Eaton, I love watching your son be a pathetic piece of crap. Why would Beatrice not want to watch it with us?" Marcus holds Eric's jaw and moves it as he uses him like a puppet. His impersination of Eric is high pitched with a slight lisp and it sickens me to see him have such little respect for the dead. "I don't know Eric, maybe Beatrice isn't quite able to get it through her head that she has no choice!" His voice grows louder and louder as he steps closer to me.

"Aren't you going to eat?" His voice is now soft and caring.

"I can't, you've tied my hands behind my back." I hiss and glare at him.

"Oops, I forgot about that." His tone is too cheerful for my liking. "Let me help you." He walks over and kicks the bowl over so the contents spew across the floor. "Shame, let me go get you some more." He turns his back and is about to leave before turning back around and bringing his belt down across my face. "And to think that my son wanted to marry you." He practically spits in my face.

When he leans forward the light from the projector catches on the silver chain around his neck, upon which hangs my engagement ring. "Don't worry Beatrice." He says his voice calm and soothing. "You won't be needing this when you're dead." He ends gesturing to the ring he wears as a pendant.

A/N

I lied when I said that I wouldn't update for two weeks. Here is the first chapter, I hope you enjoyed reading!

As always, I don't own Divergent or any of it's characters or settings.