Chapter 4

After the incident (Y/N) was staying at her grandmother's estate. Lady Beatrice a very strict and practical noble woman whom she just met one time. Her mother told her that Beatrice hated her father but she doesn't bare any ill will against him. She was a very reasonable woman despite disapproving her marriage to a fallen lord, Levius.

She heard a knock on her door then heard her grandmother on the other side. (Y/N) sat up from the bed still sulking about the lost of her parents. Beatrice had a scowl on her wrinkly face when Elias came down without her. She urge her to come downstairs for luncheon with her. (Y/N) looked downcast and told her that she had no appetite. Beatrice exasperatedly sigh "Locking yourself here won't do you any good. Do you think your parents would want their daughter to get sick from malnutrition. Come downstairs and join me, I am not asking" she left and shut the door with a thud.

(Y/N) pursed her lips close whilst staring at her balled fist that were clenching the blanket. She suddenly flinch when she heard a knock on her window. Her eyes widened in surprise to see Magna. She rushed to open it and let him in. (Y/N) chided in disbelief that he climbed 2 storeys without worrying he might fall. Magna shrugged her complaint and shook her if she's alright.

He was so worried when he heard what happened and frantically looked for her. (Y/N) had forgotten her anger and told him that she's alright. Magna sigh in relief and bend over relieving the tension on his knees. As soon as he sat up he notice the the bags under he eyes asking if she has been crying. Magna's brow knitted as he caressed her sullen cheeks from crying. (Y/N) places a hand over his and squeeze it. She shut her eyes closed and bit her lower lip nodding that she is.

He pulled her closed hugging her petite trembling body as she starts to sob. Magna's warmth comfort her and his words of encouragement filled her lonely heart. After a few moments (Y/N) felt conscious and pulled away from him. She thank Magna for coming over with a blush on her cheeks. The young man whose cheeks that were painted with faint hue was glad that he could help a friend.

After brazenly hugging each other they became silent, Magna fake cough to break the awkward silence. He only came to see if she's alright and since that's concluded he bid her goodbye. (Y/N) called for him to stay but she shrugged the thought and thank him one more time. Magna grinned as he climbed up to the window sill then leap to a nearby branch. (Y/N) watch his departing figure and went downstairs.

Magna and (Y/N) continued to meet. One day, (Y/N) was determined to find the people who attacked their estate. She asked Magna if he can help her. Magna reluctantly agreed to help and wanted to know what she'll do after. Although it's a request from the girl he likes, searching for those murderers would put her in danger. (Y/N) frowns She never thought about it, what if he was a mad man and how she can bring justice to her parents.

Magna sigh in defeat when she makes that expression and pulled her cheek chiding her not to think about it so much, like everything is her responsibility to take the risk. She can rely on others like her grandmother or the magic knights. If she just needs information he'd gladly help with the resources he has. (Y/N)'s shoulders lightened and thanks him with her beautiful smile. Magna slightly blush his feelings for her each other grew deeper. (Y/N) thought how lucky she met him.

------

Her close friendship with Magna reach to her grandmother's ears. So, she ordered Elias for an errand. (Y/N) was worried why Magna has been refusing to see her. After what she heard from his friend (Y/N) confronted her grandmother furiously. Beatrice was in the garden enjoying her tea when (Y/N) trudge with a scowl on her face demanding an explanation why she threatened Magna. Beatrice placed her teacup back on the saucer and raise her head arrogantly.

"Here I was enjoying my tea, then you came barging like red bull bearing an unpleasant news...I did not threaten him I just made him realize to know his place. Do you think it's appropriate for a noble lady to sneak out with a peasant boy in the night, what would people think?" Beatrice berates. (Y/N) retorted that he is a precious friend that is helping her find the man who killed her parents.

Beatrice slams her hands on the table making her flinch. Beatrice was also furious about the death of her only daughter and son in law so she hid the fact to her that she had Elias already looked for the perpetrators.

She demands her to stop the search and seeing her friend. (Y/N) retorts but Beatrice rebuke "I will not risk our status just so you could play detective with your friend. This isn't one of your fantasy books. Reality is always cruel, you may escape from the nobles criticism but how about your friend". (Y/N) couldn't utter a word against what she said so she walks away.

Despite what her grandmother said (Y/N) snuck out of her room and looked for him. Magna was at a friend's restaurant scratching his head in irritation. He exasperatedly sigh recalling what the man said who came to see him. He was (Y/N) grandmother's butler, he was asked to stop pursuing the matter regarding the murder of her parents. It was an internal dispute between nobles that he shouldn't get involved. If he further pry, it will only endanger himself. Magna had to concede and he felt like a coward for losing her trust in him due to that he had no face to show her.

His lady friend who was wiping the plates gave him a few advice about women. Magna pouts that what she said doesn't even help. He can't win (Y/N)'s heart even if he showed his gallant by helping her. The gap of their social status was too high that he never felt so hopeless, not even after living in the dark alley for his life or fighting street war. He muttered a curse under his breath.

She giggled then suddenly gestured behind him disagreeing. Magna rose a brow and followed where she pointed. He fell off his chair in surprise to see her.

They went out for a walk and as soon as they reach a small bridge. Magna told her that she should stop seeing him since her grandmother is handling the matter. (Y/N) rose her head and looked at him dejectedly, it may have been her selfish request but she doesn't want to lose any reason to see him.

Magna clicked his tongue chiding her to stop sulking since everytime she does the temperature around them decreases and soon snow flakes falls. Magna pat's her head assuring her that they'll always be friends despite what others think. (Y/N) refuse to accept it so she confess that she has feelings for him.

Magna was taken aback and licked his dry lips. He scratch the back of his head huffing a nervous chuckle then clenches his jaw. "It won't work out for the both of us. You know that, right?" (Y/N) shook her head. As her tears starts to fall so as the snow flakes fall over them. She exclaimed that she doesn't care about her status and would rather kill herself than marry a stranger.

Magna grabs her arms shacking her angrily to be reasonable and unconsciously blurted that he likes her too. He stifled in realization and tries to make excuses but it was too late as she heard him loud and clear. Magna look away his cheeks flush. (Y/N)'s heart was thumping fast, a smile crept to her lips and her cheeks began to blush from excitement. He harrumph and slightly mumbled with a pout "I like you too". (Y/N) suddenly embraced causing him to slight fall back but he caught her in his arms and pulled her close, grinning.  The 2 shared their warmth under the cold breeze of the night.

As they pulled away Magna told her that he plans to join the coming magic knights exam as soon as he receives his grimoire. Once he becomes an honourable knight he will sweep her feet away from her grandmother. "So wait for me" (Y/N) nods and abruptly kiss his chin. Magna was taken aback, (Y/N) blushed embarrassed of her boldness. She was just carried away from the mood. Magna huffed and pulled her for a searing kiss, proof of his love for her was deep and true.

End of chapter 4

>>To chapter 5