Volume 1 - Chapter 5

Ayanokouji's POV

Our class was incredibly lively, as usual. We definitely need a moody day where no one spoke. Perhaps I should purposely tank the class points and then instigate a fight within the class or something. Then I'll have some entertainment to look forward to. I digress. The reason why our class was livelier than usual was the fact that today was the day swimming classes started.

Most of the girls were chatting around Ichinose's desk, disappointed that they had to wear their school-issued swimsuit which wasn't considered fashionable, but excited about being able to swim, while the boys were crowding around Shibata, apparently making bets about who would be the fastest swimmer. I also happened to throw a reluctant Kanzaki in there for taking the last takoyaki.

Himeno and I weren't as enthusiastic. While she was a competent swimmer, she didn't really care much for it. She was one of the types that would rather chill on a beach towel and take a nap under the shade. Personally, I wouldn't want to deal with the stares of others on my body. Thinking about it reminds me of that time in New York when I was brought to potential investors as a specimen, an object to be observed, rather than a human being. I also was forced to tolerate... that without being able to retaliate. I had to follow orders, no matter how unreasonable they were until I reached that epiphany that led to me being able to leave with no negative consequences to my surroundings. I only had that burden to bear.

"Hey Ayanokouji-san, who do you think will win?" Shibata called out to me.

"I have no idea what exactly you're betting on," I decided to reply.

Shibata and Hamaguchi came over to my desk, bringing over a chart with the names of the girls. Hamaguchi also handed Himeno a chart with the names of the boys as well.

"I choose Amikura," I stated matter-of-factly.

"Amikura? Why would you choose Amikura?" Hamaguchi asked. A few of the girls including the one mentioned looked over in our direction. "Why not choose Minamikata? She's the most athletic," he whispered.

"I believe in you, Amikura," I said, throwing a thumbs up in her direction.

"I won't let you down, bosu!" she jokingly saluted in response.

"How much is the wager?" I asked Shibata.

"2,500 points."

"Done deal," I said, transferring my points. It would be a minimal loss, anyway.

After the boys left, Himeno decided to ask, "Why did you pick her, anyway?"

"Amikura has a background in parkour, meaning she's rather agile and has an athletic physique. A traceur has to maintain a certain level of fitness and strength in order to perform the acts they undertake. One important aspect of their fitness is to maintain a strong core, which is something swimmers and traceurs share,"

She gave me a knowing look before asking rhetorically, "That's not the real reason why you picked her, isn't it?"

"...I picked her because her name is Mako, which is a type of shark," I confessed my actual reason for picking her.

Himeno gave an unladylike snort at my reasoning before chuckling behind her hand.

"Only you would come up with a stupid reason and bullshit an answer to hide the fact," she said somewhat fondly.

"Who did you pick, anyway?"

"Kanzaki. Normally, I'd pick you, but I have a feeling you're not going to try that hard,"

"Why on Earth would you pick me over the athletic students in our class?"

She turned a little pink and looked away before mumbling something I couldn't make out. I think it was best not to pry further into the matter. After a while, we headed out to lunch.