Chapter Two

YN shuffled her feet as she stared up at the large building, a lump of anxiety forming in her throat. She glared at her feet, willing them to move on their own. Finally, growing a smidge of courage, YN stepped forward, opening the door and walking through it.

"Can I help you?" A young receptionist asked, a lovely smile on her lips.

"Uh, yes. I have an appointment with Secretary Ross." The woman frowned, her eyes confused. "My names YN Gray." The woman's eyes widened, nodding her head rapidly.

"My apologies Miss. Gray, I will send for someone to come down to get you." YN nodded, moving to sit down on the sofas nearby. She grabbed a magazine, reading the articles through the lenses of her glasses.

YN's attention was grabbed as someone entered through the front door, her eyes snapping up at his voice. YN held her breath, lowering her head and sinking behind her magazine.

"Gray?" YN's head flicked from where she'd been fixated on the brunette man.

"Uh, yes." YN stood, brushing her hands down her jeans and fixing her glasses.

"This way, please." YN nodded, trailing behind the large security guard. She intertwined her fingers tightly, her teeth sinking into her lip nervously. "Just in here." YN nodded again, watching the security guard walk away. She could hear voices inside the room, her heart speeding up at the possibility of running into her old team. YN eventually knocked, stepping back and waiting for Secretary Ross to open the door.

"Ah, Miss. Gray, perfect timing." YN breathed in deeply, trying to settle her nerves. She stepped in, keeping her eyes on Ross as he walked back over to his seat. "I have asked Miss. Gray to sit in on our meeting as an unbiased third party." YN swallowed, listening to the shocked silence. "She obviously knows most of you, but was not present for the either of the issues that resorted in these laws being set in place."

YN finally looked up, trailing her eyes over the occupants of the room. Her eyes reached green eyes, the other woman's eyes crinkling at the side. She smiled at Natasha, nodding her head in her direction. Moving along, she swallowed as she met shocked brown eyes. Tony's mouth was popped open, his eyes glazed over as he stared at his former lover. YN quickly averted her gaze, smiling at Rhodey who returned it. Finally, her mismatched eyes connected with crystal blue, the captain's expression completely gob smacked.

"YN?" Steve whispered, standing to his feet slowly. YN nodded, stepping back from the table.

"Hi, Steve." YN forced a smile to her lips, her heart beating erratically.

"YN will be subject to the Accords as well, due to her enhanced capabilities among... other things." YN blushed, looking to her feet with a small smile.

"I'm sorry, I'm going to ask the question some of us are dying to have answered. Who is this?" YN lifted her gaze, staring at the tall man through her glasses.

"This is YN." Tony said, making YN's eyes snap to him, her teeth sinking into her tongue. "She is - was? - an Avenger." YN looked away, her fingernails making crescent dents in her palm. "Before she ran off to, I don't know, join the circus? Who knows?" YN licked her lips, shaking her head.

"You know exactly why I left, Stark." Tony sat back in his seat, cocking his head with a glare.

"A note? That's all I got after-" YN chuckled, taking off her glasses but keeping her gaze low.

"Just leave it, Tony." Natasha said, getting to her feet anxiously. Everyone in the room bristled at the woman's nervous movements "YN?"

"I'm fine, Widow." Natasha nodded yet didn't sit back down. YN lifted her gaze to meet Tony's, her eyes not giving anything away.