Chapter Nine

"You ready to face him?" Steve asked, looking down at YN as the two faced the tarmac.

"I guess so." YN shrugged, looking to her feet. "I'm not using my power though. I won't hurt him; I won't hurt any of them like that."

Steve placed a hand on YN's shoulder before trailing it up her bruised neck and onto her face. "I would never ask you to do that." YN nodded, stepping away from Steve.

"Wouldn't want your girlfriend to see you doing that." YN raised an eyebrow, crossing her arms. Steve's tongue ran over his teeth under his lip, his eyes boring into YN's.

"She's not my girlfriend. And she never will be." YN nodded, cocking her head.

"Because you're a fugitive." Steve rolled his eyes, grabbing YN by the waist and bringing her closer.

"No, because of you." YN bit back a smirk before she pulled further away, making Steve frown.

"Don't want to keep them waiting, do we?" She snickered, a grin slipping through her façade. Steve glared at her before he shook his head fondly. "It's an IOU." She winked, stepping out from their cover and surveying the skies.

"One hell of an IOU." Steve muttered, smiling at his feet before following YN out. The two locked eyes on their chopper, YN gripping the batons at her hips. "Take it slow." YN nodded before the started at a light job toward the chopper, keeping an eye on their surroundings.

They skidded to a stop as Tony and Rhodey lowered to the ground in front of them. "Wow, it's so weird how you run into people at the airport." Tony said through his helmet before it popped open. "Don't you think that's weird?"

"Definitely weird." Rhodey nodded, standing next to Tony defensively.

"Hear me out, Tony." Steve said, raising his hands slowly. "That doctor, the psychiatrist, he's behind all of this." YN nodded, pleading with her eyes as Tony's gaze flicked to her. There was a clang nearby and YN turned ripping her batons from her hips and raising them.

"White Iris." He said, the title making YN raise an eyebrow.

"Your Highness." YN returned, keeping her eyes on the cat like figure as he slinked beside Tony.

"Anyway... Ross gave me 36 hours to bring you in." Tony said, shrugging his shoulders. "That was 24 hours ago. Can you help a brother out?"

"We aren't the enemy here, Tony." YN said, gripping her batons tighter.

"She's right, you're after the wrong man." Steve said, nodding his head. '

"Your judgement is askew. Your old war buddy killed innocent people yesterday." YN bit her lip, squaring her shoulders.

"And there are five more super soldiers just like him." YN said, trying to get through to her old lover.

"We can't let the doctor find them first, Tony." Steve sighed. "I can't." YN looked to her side as Natasha stepped out, walking toward them. YN shook her head, staring at her friend in disappointment.

"Steve... you know what's about to happen. Do you really wanna punch your way out of this one?" Natasha said, completely avoiding YN's eyes.

"Alright, I've run out of patience... Underoos!" YN gasped as Steve's shield was snatched and both of their hands were wrapped together. YN frowned, looking up to a thin figure land on a container, holding the captains shield in his hands. "Nice job, kid. Thanks."

"I could have stuck the landing a little better, it's just... New suit. It's nothing, Mr. Stark. It's perfect. Thank you." YN shook her head, anger boiling in her chest as she listened to the way the newcomer was talking.