Chapter Five

YN sat chained to a chair in a cold room. She wasn't sure what her surroundings looked like, or if she was even alone. However, used to being in the dark, YN crossed her legs casually.

"Can I have a glass of water?" She called out, throwing her head back.

"Are you always this... laid back?" YN straightened at the voice, her skin prickling.

"Jesus, you are deathly quiet." YN muttered, a shiver running down her spine. "Is there anyone else in here?"

"No." James answered bluntly.

"Great." YN groaned, trying to pull at the chains around her wrists. "What do these chains look like? Do you think I could get out of them?" James eyed the bulky looking chains, trailing his eyes up YN's body and then frowning at the contraption on her face.

"Not unless you have a chainsaw." YN groaned louder, sagging in her seat. "They covered your eyes."

"Oh really? I hadn't noticed." YN scoffed, shaking her head.

"Because that's where it comes from? The pain you can cause." YN bit her lip, shifting in her seat.

"Uh, yeah." YN murmured, wincing at the crack in her voice. "Sorry... about that."

James smirked slightly, cocking his head at the girl. "Is that what happened to your eye?" YN stilled, shocked by the abruptness of his question.

"Yeah, I guess so. It 2012, the Battle of New York. The power caused pressure to build up behind my eyes and they had to perform surgery. I lost sight in my left eye, that's why I look so..."

"Terrifying?" YN's solemn expression turned to a smirk at James' words.

"Well, I'm going to take that as a compliment, considering who I'm talking to." James clenched his jaw to fight off a smile, the woman's uncaring attitude easing his nerves. After half an hour of silence, YN heard a door open, footsteps approaching the two imprisoned people. "Is that my glass of water?"

"I am sorry, Miss. I am here to perform a psychological evaluation on the both of you." YN frowned, clenching her fists in front of her.

"You will do no such thing." YN refused, pulling against her chains. "Not without consent from either of us."

Steve watched from the office they were ushered into as YN struggled against her restraints. "She isn't going to like this." Steve rubbed his eyes, forcing himself to look at Tony. Tony didn't look at the screen, instead facing the blonde man.

"Secretary Ross wants all three of you prosecuted." Tony said, crossing his arms. "I said I'd handle it."

"I'm not getting the shield back, am I?" Steve sighed, cocking a brow.

"Technically, it's government property... wings too." Tony said, pursing his lips.

"That's cold." Sam muttered.

"Warmer than jail." Tony countered. "What were you thinking, man?"

"If I see a situation pointed south... I can't ignore it. Sometimes I wish I could." Tony scoffed, smiling slightly.

"No, you don't." Steve huffed in resignation.

"No, I don't." Tony sighed, uncrossing his arms.

"Sometimes... Sometimes I wanna punch you in your perfect teeth. But I don't wanna see you gone. We need you, Cap. So far, nothing's happened that can't be undone, if you sign. We can make the last 24 hours legit. Barnes gets transferred to an American psych-centre... instead of a Wakandan prison. I'm not saying it's impossible... but there would have to be safeguards. Once we put out the PR fire, those documents can be amended. I'd file a motion to have you and Wanda reinstated..."

Steve frowned before interrupting Tony's rambling. "Wanda? What about Wanda?"

"She's fine. She's confined to the compound, currently. Vision's keeping her company."

"Oh, God, Tony." Steve groaned, bringing his hand up to rub his forehead.

"It's 100 acres with a lap pool. It's got a screening room. There are worse ways to protect people." Tony said, his shoulder squaring.

"Protection? Is that how you see this? This is protection? It's internment, Tony." Tony scoffed, throwing his hands up.

"She's not a US citizen. They don't grant visas to weapons of mass destruction." Steve shook his head, turning his nose up at the brunette.

"She's a kid!"

"Give me a break!" Steve huffed, stepping back from Tony. "I'm doing what has to be done. To starve off something worse."

"You keep telling yourself that." Steve scoffed.

Meanwhile:

"Hello Mr. Barnes. Do you mind if I sit?" James sighed as he did anyway. "Your first name is James?" The brunette man clenched his teeth in annoyance as YN called out.

"Do not answer his questions if you don't want to. He has no consent for this evaluation." Sighing, the psychologist looked back to James, smiling.

"I'm not here to judge you. I just want to ask you a few questions. Do you know where you are, James?" No answer. "I can't help you if you don't talk to me, James." YN struggled for a moment longer before resigning and slumping in her chair with a huff.

"My name is Bucky." YN smiled slightly, happy the brunette was able to remember who he was.

"Tell me, Bucky. You've seen a great deal, haven't you?" YN frowned, concerned about the unprofessional question.

"I don't want to talk about it." YN bit her tongue, not wanting to interrupt the two.

"You fear that if you open your mouth, the horrors might never stop. Don't worry. We only have to talk about one." YN's eyes widened, realization dawning on her.

"Hey!" She called out, resorting back to struggling against her restraints. "What are you doing?"

Tony, Steve, Sam and a recently joined Sharon halted their conversation, regarding the possibility of James being framed, to look to the screen as YN started yelling out, frowning as to why the woman was making such a ruckus. "What's her problem now?" Tony muttered.

"Who are you?" YN growled, making the frowns on the three men's face deepen.

"Who is that guy?" Steve asked, looking to Sharon.

"Some guy they hired for the psych eval-" Everyone stilled as the lights in the building blew, Steve looking to the now black screen.

"Someone get me eyes on Barnes!"