CHAPTER TWENTY-SIX

HAMMER AND VEILS

HAMMER AND VEILS

TRAILING her feet up her front porch, Hayden trudged inside her home and made her way to the couch where she found her twin sister buried in her latest read

TRAILING her feet up her front porch, Hayden trudged inside her home and made her way to the couch where she found her twin sister buried in her latest read. With a tired sigh, she plopped down on the far end of the couch, pulling her converse clad feet up onto the cushions and for the first time since she opened her book, Rory looked up "Hey, good shift?"

"Busy." Hayden hummed with a little nod, fidgeting with her fingers "So yeah, good."

Rory opened her mouth to respond when their mother's voice carried from upstairs "Girls!"

"Living room!" They called back in sync.

"I need your advice on something." The twins watched as Lorelai made her way down with a veil on her head fashioned from newspaper and exhaled as she came to a stop in front of them "What do you think?

In sync their lips pursed, head tilting to the side "Huh."

Lorelai frowned "Not good?"

"I'm not sure." Rory tried to hide her amused smile "Have you tried the Arts and Leisure section?"

"I need you to be serious." Their mother huffed.

Hayden snorted "You're wearing a newspaper on your head."

She nodded "I know."

"And you need us to be serious?" Rory shot back.

Lorelai tossed her arms up in frustration "I am trying to figure out veil lengths here."

Rory nodded sarcastically "Oh, well sure."

"See, I kind of like this shoulder length kind of semi-poofy thing like this." Lorelai fluffed the ends of the inked pages.