Chapter 13

Chapter 13

In the car Brad sings along to nursery rhymes with Dee, mumbling along for most of the newer ones. I promise to update his repertoire.  As we move out of town I loose my bearings, Brad seems to know the roads well though. After driving for 1/2 hour we pull up to some gates.

The gates open automatically and the drive meanders round and the house isnt immediately clear from the road side. Brad makes his way up the drive and stops outside. The house is vast but not extreme, its relaxed but grand. It feels homely but imposing. It must have still made my chin hit the floor as I became aware of Brad staring at me.

"Welcome home" he smiles sincerely.  I could do nothing but smile. Of course its not home but I sure will enjoy the next few hours pretending.

"Come on Dexter, lets go explore the playroom." He was already unstraping Dee. "Go find marni inside, she'll show you around" he told me as he carried dee in.

Suddenly he stopped just past the doorway and let Dee down to run off. Turning back to me he was with me in a few strides despite the distance. "Lets do this properly,  shall we?" Not waiting for a response he scoops me up in his arms and carries me toward the door

"what no, NO Brad! We arent newly weds!" I squeal

"Maybe not, but it still feels right to me, let me please" he responds

I agree by way of resting my head on his shoulder.

As he lets me down he kisses my forehead and looks me straight in the eye, flicking between them. Checking my reaction, probably making sure it hadn't freaked me out. I smile to reasure him.

"Whats the plan for tonight?" I ask quickly changing the subject.

"Tonight we eat and relax, tomorrow thet arrive" he answers

"Wait you said business thingy was tonight, what changed?" I'm confused.

"It was, bit its been a busy day for you and plus I wanted you to be comfortable her before our guests arrive" He says simply. As if changing an informal business meeting is as easy as that.

"Go relax, Dee has his nanny and Marni is here to get you settled. I'll come find you soon" he says as he is pulled away by Dee, eager to find the playroom.

I wander around the ground floor, going from room to room, taking in the amazing but subtle designer touches. I find a cosy room with blankets and a fire lit, books line the room. I look through them and stuble on "Jane Eyre", a book I've read a hundred times but in the house if feels like the book to read. Settling down in a generously sized armchair by the fire and cover myself with a blanket and loose myself in the book.