TWENTY ;

"Family dinner fucking sucks.."

"Didn't know you had such vulgar language?"

"Yeah, well. It comes with the rebelling against your parents. Which, I might consider doing again.." Jules said the last part quietly although it wasn't unheard of.

"We both know damn well Will would beat both our asses up." Jeremiah laughed as Jules frowned at him, "I know he'd do that to me but you?"

Jeremiah hummed, "Well.. as an accomplice. As much as I'd love to see some drama, I don't want to be caught up in any beef. Although I could probably take him on."

"You're forgetting that you'll be fighting my Godzilla height of a boyfriend." Jules replied sarcastically, which caused a chuckle out of Jeremiah. "I guess I can't really talk strategies with the girlfriend here can I?"

"Hey! I can be both a friend and a girlfriend." Jules pouted as Jeremiah reached over to poke her cheek. "That you can. Exactly why we're both in the same car, driving over to your family's house."

"Can't we just turn around and.. I don't know.. head over to McDonalds or something?" Jules grumbled. "You mean your definition of ditching me and going to hang out with William and his new band?"

Jules stayed silent at that as she turned her head to the side, unable to lie to her friend.

Jeremiah lets out a chuckle, "I've got plans after too, so don't look too down in the dumps. I'll send you over to your Godzilla of a boyfriend after we're done here."

The two stayed quiet for the rest of the drive, with music softly blasting from the radio. Enjoying each other's presence with a smile on their faces.

They arrived at the manor at around 6pm and were immediately rushed to the dinner table. Apparently it was an "emergency family meeting", according to Aaron.

That's how Jules and Jeremiah had came to be sitting side by side together at the dining table. Where Jules would tune sometimes into the small conversations being thrown around as they ate dinner.

"Well that was amazing." Jules' father, Godric said with a smile on his face. "Yes, as expected of our family chef.." Jules's mother, Celestia agreed.

"Now that we're done. Shall we discuss what we're all here for?" With a wave of her hand, the maids began clearing out the table. Jules felt slightly anxious as plates and silverware were being carried away. The last time one of these happened, it was about how Jules would be sent to LA to get proper work experience from Jeremiah's parents.

Celestia cleared her throat, snapping Jules out of her thoughts. "As you all know, Julianna's 21st birthday is coming up and we've always kept the tradition around."

"Oh for fucks sake.." Jules mumbles under her breath, to which the person who sat beside her, her father, shot her with a warning look.

The Smith's loved going all out whenever it came to even the littlest things. Jules' mother being one of the most successful businesswoman in the UK, with her oldest sister Charlotte, soon following in their mother's footsteps, and their father and brother Godric and Aaron, being extremely well-known in the music industry. So it was no surprise that for every Smith family to hold a grand party once they turn 21 to still be ongoing even after all these years, making it a long ongoing tradition.

Famous people from businessmen to celebrities would attend the party since it was a once in a lifetime opportunity to meet an extremely elite family. Also a perfect way to form business relationships or casual friendships.

Charlotte's party had a specific dress code that required you to wear formal purple clothing. Somehow, Jules had managed to avoid the public eye and only converse with a few people at the time. So after her appearance on the media last year, and the rumours of her taking over her father's business, it would definitely be impossible for her to avoid parties as such any longer.

Especially if it was her own party.

"Can't we just settle for a small party for close friends and family?" Jules made eye contact with her mother who shook her head in denial, "Julianna, as much as we all know you'd prefer spending time with your.. new friends, this tradition simply cannot be looked over. You will come here first thing tomorrow morning to plan this party. Also, I don't recommend trying to escape this one. You'll only be a burden to Will, if you can recall what happened last year."

Ouch. Jules flinched slightly as Aaron snorted in response, "It's not fair that after you make a mistake, you get Wilbur Soot chasing after you. If I make a mistake, I've only got paparazzi and flashing lights coming after me."

"Well now, who was it the one that decided to become a singer as their life career?" Charlotte raised an eyebrow at him, to which Aaron just looked away and pouted in response.

"Don't I need a partner or something for this?" Jules raised her hand slightly, causing her mother's attention to divert back to her. "That is true. I was thinking that you could get Jeremiah here to escort you. Seeing as he's the best option there is, with our families being close and whatnot."

A wave of disappointment suddenly hit Jules, but before she could say anything, her mother added, "Plus, his parents will be coming here on the day of the party and they were hoping to see you two together."

Jules stayed quiet at that. Jeremiah's parents were like her second family. A precious couple that'd make plenty of time for their children, even towards the Smith's family children. While Celestia and Godric were away, Jules, Charlotte and Aaron had to stay over at Jeremiah's place. The hesitation and shyness soon went away after two days, where the couple would make homemade food for them, and even do normal family activities with them. Hence why she couldn't bring herself to deny them.

"Wait. I'm alright with this. But Jules has-" Jeremiah cut himself off as he felt someone pinch his thigh from underneath the table, Jules throwing him a look before continuing, "I have an idea for the theme of my party which requires ballroom dancing, so we might need to find some instructors for that."

"Hm.. quite an old fashioned theme. But nonetheless I can see it turning out to become a grand ball instead of a grand party." her father replied. "I think that is quite the great idea. Your great aunt was the last person to propose of such an idea and it became quite popular back in the days. I'm sure it'll be even better this time around. I'll prepare a dance instructor for you." her mother smiled in satisfaction.

Jules threw a small smile back. If it wasn't for the fact that Jeremiah's parents had shown her what it felt like to be in a normal healthy family, then she wouldn't have been half the person she was today. So if this was something they wanted to see from her, then it'll be something she'll work on for their sake.