Chapter 08

Tuesday

    A week after the sneak

    Lunch @ Northern Light High School

    “So, I heard you two were going out.” Wyatt looked at Xander and I back and forth.

    I spat my coke out to Wyatt in shock and started coughing. I grabbed a napkin before I could embarrass myself even more with my actions. I wiped all of the coke dripping from my chin off and crumpled up the napkin on my tray.

    “Okay...Gross!” Wyatt exclaimed, grabbing a handful of napkins and wiping himself off.

    “I’m sorry.”

    “So, you two are going out?” Maia asked. “Oohh.”

    “Uhmn...We-“

    “Are going out.” Xander cut me off.

    Most of the others were shocked, some like Jenny and Maia were just full on excited. I gaped at Xander and gave him a “What are you doing?” look. He returned a “Just go with it” look and continued speaking.

    “Yea, Me and Venus are going out.” Maybe I’m going to have to teach him his grammar.

    “Since when?”  Ace asked before biting his hotdog.

    “Since last week.” Xander replied coolly. I just sat there frozen, unable to do anything.

    “Congratulations to the happy couple!” Jenny got up from her seat and gave the two of us a big hug.

    The rest of my lunch time was spent listening to them talk about us and sitting on my chair frozen, unable to move and eat.

    I looked up at Xander again and shot him a confused looked. I got a smile back. Does this mean...we’re going out?

After School @ Northern Light High School

    “Hey, are you Venus?” I heard a high-pitched voice ask.

    I closed my locker door a little bit to see who it was. Oh, dear. It’s the Barbie crew. They think they’re the prettiest and that they’re royalty. These girls are such idiots. I mean, who wears designer dresses, shoes, and accessories, like the floral Gucci tube dress, to school?

    I stared at them debating with myself if I should answer them or not.

    “Are you gonna talk or you’re just gonna stand there and stare at me in awe because of my beauty?” The ‘lead’ Barbie, Lesley, asked.

    “Yeah, I’m Venus.”

    “So,” She crossed her arms and shifted her weight on her left leg. “I heard you’re going out with Xander.”

    I didn’t know what to answer but decided to go along with it. “Maybe.”

    I looked around and a few people stopped to watch us.

    “Why?” Lesley moaned and lifted a hand to her head as if having a migraine.

    “What do you mean?”

    “Why, why, why!? Why would Xander pick you?  I mean he’s super hot and high up royal while you’re...A low class, ugly loser.”

    “Excuse me?”

    “I mean, why not pick me!? I’m hot and popular!” She gave me the elevator look. “And I have fashion sense.”

    “Excuse me!?”